Home U.S. Coin Forum

Denomination most used as a screwdriver.

DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the dime...but maybe the cent.

Comments

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dime

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definately dimes, cents are too soft and bend too easy

Mr_Spud

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 cent nickel

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭

I always carry a Kennedy Half and Washington Quarter as "screwdrivers" to quickly open electrical type enclosures that we use where I work. The Half Dollar works around 95% of the time, occasionally I need the thinner quarter.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2024 6:01PM

Good topic for a thread: "Coins Used As Tools"

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2024 6:08PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Dime ;)

Used it on my zippos when I did smoke, fwiw

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ketel One.

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I think about the opening sequences in the old TV show Macgyver where he’s arc welding using a battery and 2 cents. A quarter also makes a great pipe bowl cover. ;)

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimes for screws and cents for fuses. At least the dimes didn't kill as often.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used a nickel before on some big headed short screws that fastened some panel covers. But yes, overwhelmingly a dime.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 10 yen I use. Thin like a cent or dime, but larger in diameter like a quarter.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I had a Zebco 600 reel. I always carried a quarter fishing if I had to open the reel.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dime can be used to determine the choke on a 12 ga. shotgun. If a dime doesn't fit in the muzzle of the barrel, it's a full choke. If a dime does fit, it's a modified choke or larger.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• CregCreg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

Dimes fix small carburetors when this plug falls out.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep quarters, nickels, dimes and cents in my shooting range boxes.

theknowitalltroll;
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hummingbird_coins said:

@DocBenjamin said:
    Mint should make a phillips head nickel. That would be useful.

Who is Phillip and why should they put him on a nickel?

Why King Phillip of Spain of course! We used his coins before we made our own, why don't we use them again!

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Dimes for screws and cents for fuses. At least the dimes didn't kill as often.
    Jim

My dad actually used cents as fuses in my childhood home. It's a miracle we all survived that house! I grew up to learn about this cool thing called a "circuit breaker." :-)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Least used would have to be the Ike dollar. ;)

• RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭

A Phillips head screwdriver on the Keychain is a gamechanger, never have to fetch a screwdriver again.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dime.

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Industrial answer: quarter
    We were not allowed to take screwdrivers in the plant (potential union issues), so we used a quarter to open panel covers (most often Hoffman). We referred to a quarter as "the engineer's screwdriver."

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dime works well for turning the dials on rifle scopes. :)

• SanddollarSanddollar Posts: 60 ✭✭

Mercury dimes used to come in handy if you were looking for a quick fix for a lost screwdriver.

Rebirth. Renewal. Transformation.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much like having more than one screwdriver for different applications, I've used more than one denomination for different situations. In lab, quarters come in handy for taking the backs off of the battery compartment of a timer. Nickels work too. I've used both on rifle scopes too. Dimes and Cents are better for smaller screws.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • MWKMWK Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

I guess this thread is asking about using a coin in a pinch when a screwdriver is needed by not on hand. In my experience, there are actual screws designed to be opened using a nickel so my response would have been "a nickel."

If designing a screw to be opened with a coin in the absence of a proper screwdriver, a nickel is a good choice. It's relatively large and it thickness allows for a fair among of force to be applied to it without warping the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file