Home U.S. Coin Forum

1960 Hawaiian currency booklet find

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plodding my way thru piles of magazines and catalogs at the flea market, I came across this interesting 45 page booklet. Nice explanation of the various early Hawaiian script, tokens and notes with lots of pics and sketches of all specie. And it was a buck!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

Comments

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, cool.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool 😎

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whitman published a series of books like that in the early 1960s. Finding one for a dollar was excellent!

All glory is fleeting.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find. That's got to be a rarer Whitman title.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • tokenprotokenpro Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are not particularly scarce, just dated. They were the Whitman "Guide Book" series of the time, an informative introduction to a particular field but not the detailed specialized catalog for the real aficionado of a type. Several did serve as a standard catalog (at least for communication) for a time until later works updated the field. Here is a quick shot of a few from my library - I couldn't find a complete list of titles.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @tokenpro Good to know

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭

can't beat the price. Good find.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like I’m missing a few. Are there other titles out there?

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Patriotic catalog went through at least three editions (the 3rd edition has copper colored lettering rather than gold as on most). The second edition of the Alaska catalog was a green hardcover & was the standard until Ron Benice authored his work. The Alaska catalog has a surprisingly good section on the gold tokens (gold miner, pinch & Too Wah) with die varieties.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file