Home U.S. Coin Forum

A pair of Lowball 1886-S’s

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 22, 2024 12:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Tha $5 came from Stacks. The day it came in the mail I found the $10 in an old eBay watch and I made an offer on it and got it. Made my day!!

Comments

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lowball gold is pretty cool. That P1 $5 blows my mind. If it could only talk.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any photos of the reverses?

Wondering if these are even weaker on the reverse as I have noticed on some very low grade Liberty gold coins. Though have not seen enough to tell if that is a consistent feature like low grade Barber quarters and halves or just random.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are Fun!

I hope you find an AG03 1886-s Twenty next!

It's all about what the people want...

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool coins. B)
    Are these coins still legal tender? I remember a thread a couple of years ago that cited a US law stating that US gold coins are no longer legal tender once the weigh drops more that 2%(?) below their standard specified weight due to circulation wear and that they were then valued at their bullion value which would be less than their face value. I'm not sure if the 2% is the correct number but I remember it being a specific number that was fairly low. At the time, the US government fixed the price of gold at $20.67 per Troy ounce.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    Those are Fun!

I would go for that 😀

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:

@LukeMarshall said:
    Those are Fun!

I would go for that 😀

Don't forget an 1886-S Quarter Eagle. :)
    As far as the wear pattern, those look consistent from obverse to reverse. The few I have seen with weaker reverses just may be chance unless dates or eras factor in.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to own some lowball gold, but I have a feeling the premium over melt value would be higher than that of lowball silver.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yuk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file