Home U.S. Coin Forum

Missouri Numismatic Society show report.

goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I left home early Wednesday morning for the long drive to St. Charles, Missouri. After a couple of areas of road construction and a short light rain shower, I arrived in the St Charles area in late afternoon.

The MNS show is held at the St. Charles Convention Center. It is a modern and very nice center with plenty of free parking. I arrived about 30 minutes before opening time on Thursday. I quickly got my badge and was looking for a place to sit down to wait when I saw Dimeman. We had a nice conservation until it was time for the show to open. There was a good crowd waiting to enter the show.

When I entered the show, I went left to get away from the crowd that was mostly going up the middle of the bourse. I saw one dealer that had 8 1793 Wreath Cents all in PCGS holders graded from 25 to 55 and some with CAC stickers. I do not believe that I have ever seen that many in one dealers' case before. Moving on, I had a nice conservation with the guys from West Coast Coin. They had the best quality coins at the show, but I did not see anything that I needed this time. At another table a saw a Large Cent that I needed. After taking a look it was a hard pass. I sold a nice Large Cent to Tom Reynolds. He did not have any that I needed. I would best describe the show as subdued.

The concession stand had hot dogs for $6, fries for $3 and soft drinks for $4. This will seem like very cheap prices at the ANA in 2 weeks.

After a few hours I have found nothing, so I went next door to Cracker Barrel for a late lunch.

Friday morning, I had breakfast with two of my cousins that live in the area. After breakfast I went back to the show. I purchased an 1879-S Morgan Dollar in PCGS 65. It is a flashy looking coin with PL tendencies. The coin is not for me. It will be the prize in a contest that I with have when I reach 10,000 posts on this PCGS message board. I have over 9200 posts now and expect to reach 10,000 sometime in 2025. So, you might want to keep an eye out for that.

I left for home early on Saturday. After an uneventful drive, I arrived home 10 minutes before it started to rain. Although I did not purchase anything for myself, I had a great time.

Comments

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    I left home early Wednesday morning for the long drive to St. Charles, Missouri. After a couple of areas of road construction and a short light rain shower, I arrived in the St Charles area in late afternoon.

The MNS show is held at the St. Charles Convention Center. It is a modern and very nice center with plenty of free parking. I arrived about 30 minutes before opening time on Thursday. I quickly got my badge and was looking for a place to sit down to wait when I saw Dimeman. We had a nice conservation until it was time for the show to open. There was a good crowd waiting to enter the show.

When I entered the show, I went left to get away from the crowd that was mostly going up the middle of the bourse. I saw one dealer that had 8 1793 Wreath Cents all in PCGS holders graded from 25 to 55 and some with CAC stickers. I do not believe that I have ever seen that many in one dealers' case before. Moving on, I had a nice conservation with the guys from West Coast Coin. They had the best quality coins at the show, but I did not see anything that I needed this time. At another table a saw a Large Cent that I needed. After taking a look it was a hard pass. I sold a nice Large Cent to Tom Reynolds. He did not have any that I needed. I would best describe the show as subdued.

The concession stand had hot dogs for $6, fries for $3 and soft drinks for $4. This will seem like very cheap prices at the ANA in 2 weeks.

After a few hours I have found nothing, so I went next door to Cracker Barrel for a late lunch.

Friday morning, I had breakfast with two of my cousins that live in the area. After breakfast I went back to the show. I purchased an 1879-S Morgan Dollar in PCGS 65. It is a flashy looking coin with PL tendencies. The coin is not for me. It will be the prize in a contest that I with have when I reach 10,000 posts on this PCGS message board. I have over 9200 posts now and expect to reach 10,000 sometime in 2025. So, you might want to keep an eye out for that.

I left for home early on Saturday. After an uneventful drive, I arrived home 10 minutes before it started to rain. Although I did not purchase anything for myself, I had a great time.

Sounds like I didn't miss too much. I hear you about the expensive condiments, since at the FUN show my mom was charged almost six dollars for a Gatorade.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.
    I’ve never seen that many slabbed wreath cents, but I recall a time some years ago that Tom R. had a group of ~15 or so raw ones, many of which were on consignment from a collector. It was impressive to behold, especially since at the time I had 0 lol.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2024 12:56AM

Thanks for the report, sorry you didn't find anything but that seems to be the case for a lot of us
    Without breaking any rules here I'd be interested to know the dealer with the 8 1793 Wreath Cents

• goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    Thanks for the report, sorry you didn't find anything but that seems to be the case for a lot of us
    Without breaking any rules here I'd be interested to know the dealer with the 8 1793 Wreath Cents

Not sure of his name, but he is from the South and specializes in high end coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file