Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dad left me 30 sequential first year (2009) uncirculated $100 bills, keep, payoff car or buy coins?

not a low serial number range or anything special other than first year.

Stars&Stripes

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy 1 coin and use rest to pay off car

Mr_Spud

• CregCreg Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2024 1:13PM

Save a hundred to feed your buddies pork belly and IPA when it gets a bit cooler.
    (I’d save the one that ends in 83 and the 82 to have two consecutive.)

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2024 1:17PM

Certainly don’t hold onto the notes. But if the interest rate on the car loan is 3% like mine is, no rush to pay it off. Do you have a better use for the money?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, interest is a killer. Get out of debt. Good luck. Peace q

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve lived debt free for past 12 years (no mortgage or credit card or car loans, well I owe $8000 on my Mustang but I’m paying 1.9% and earn 5.12% so no reason to take money out of a cd). It’s the best feeling, you want to buy a 1909 S VDB you can. You want to take a vacation go right ahead.

As to your dilema, $3000 isn’t really much. Payoff debts if there is any left over take your wife out. Save the rest.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2024 3:39PM

Two grand is bupkis, you will have that paid off in no time.

Heirloom from your dad is forever and priceless. Keep them. Sure they will effectively depreciate with inflation, doesn't really matter though.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pay off the car.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rolls of coins from your bank for roll searching.😀

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pay off any debts then get coin as you need to, fwiw

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have not contributed the max for your 2024 Roth, do that.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pay off car. Then use half the amount of your monthly car payment to buy coins. 😉

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:
    Two grand is bupkis, you will have that paid off in no time.

Heirloom from your dad is forever and priceless. Keep them. Sure they will effectively depreciate with inflation, doesn't really matter though.

If you can't wrap your head around 2K being enough to treat like "real money", try thinking about what sort of coin you could buy for the money.

And if you want a forever and priceless heirloom, pay off the loan and get yourself a THXDAD vanity plate.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really depends on what your interest rates on the debt is.
    If it's very low or zero ( I recently got a 3 year car loan at 0% for 36 months) then put the money in a savings account to earn a little extra interest for yourself.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody saying to pay off the car when they don't even know the terms of the loan! Like said above, if the loan is at a low % it wouldn't pay for you to do that when you can invest, also said above in a Roth IRA. Nvida also was mentioned above.
    Debt can work for you in the right ways, don't treat it as a burden, sometimes it's a good thing
    JMO

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

Pay off car; no debt except for some real estate

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2024 5:38AM

Roth IRAs are not necessarily tax efficient depending on your tax bracket. A traditional IRA can actually be a better deal depending on future tax rates.

My father would have taken a bath in taxes if he had his money in Roth instead of traditional IRAs. The money went in with a 29% deduction but came out mostly in a 15% bracket. YMMV

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    Everybody saying to pay off the car when they don't even know the terms of the loan! Like said above, if the loan is at a low % it wouldn't pay for you to do that when you can invest, also said above in a Roth IRA. Nvida also was mentioned above.
    Debt can work for you in the right ways, don't treat it as a burden, sometimes it's a good thing
    JMO

If it wasn't a good thing there wouldn't be so much of it, eh?

theknowitalltroll;
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a truly unique item. As a whole, undoubtedly worth more than face. I’d consign to a major currency auction and see what happens.

• @ambro51 said:
    That’s a truly unique item. As a whole, undoubtedly worth more than face. I’d consign to a major currency auction and see what happens.

Thats is a consideration

Stars&Stripes
    edited July 21, 2024 11:13AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    Roth IRAs are not necessarily tax efficient depending on your tax bracket. A traditional IRA can actually be a better deal depending on future tax rates.

My father would have taken a bath in taxes if he had his money in Roth instead of traditional IRAs. The money went in with a 29% deduction but came out mostly in a 15% bracket. YMMV

A Roth IRA is an Individual Retirement Account to which you contribute after-tax dollars. While there are no current-year tax benefits, your contributions and earnings can grow tax-free, and you can withdraw them tax-free and penalty free after age 59½ and once the account has been open for five years.

Know what you're talking about before you open your mouth and giving bad advice

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

The decision is yours. Ask your dad after you have gone to sleep. Good luck and have a nice night,

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

A Roth IRA is an Individual Retirement Account to which you contribute after-tax dollars. While there are no current-year tax benefits, your contributions and earnings can grow tax-free, and you can withdraw them tax-free and penalty free after age 59½ and once the account has been open for five years.

I'd posit that his father was probably a very conservative investor and didn't plan to have [or need] the income in retirement that he had while employed. If your investment choices don't yield enough to overcome the initial taxes paid on the contribution then your account likely won't have a RMD that will put you into a higher bracket.

theknowitalltroll;

@BAJJERFAN said:

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'd posit that his father was probably a very conservative investor and didn't plan to have [or need] the income in retirement that he had while employed. If your investment choices don't yield enough to overcome the initial taxes paid on the contribution then your account likely won't have a RMD that will put you into a higher bracket.

Just to be clear
    There are NO TAXES on a Roth Ira's** IF** you follow the guildlines
    There is NO RMD on Roth Ira's
    The only way his father would have had a problem id if he didn't follow the guildlines set for the Roth Ira

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep one as an heirloom (frame it and hang it somewhere to remind you) and use the rest to pay down debt, focusing on the highest interest loans first.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

@starsandstripes said:

@ambro51 said:

Thats is a consideration

I would not recommend it.

@alaura22 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Just to be clear
    The only way his father would have had a problem id if he didn't follow the guildlines set for the Roth Ira

That's not true. You are ignoring the opportunity cost. Let's say you have are going to put $1000 into an iRA and you are in a 29% tax bracket. You put $1000 in a regular IRA but $710 in a Roth (you have to pay the tax). You yield 10% per year for 30 years. At that point, you have $17,450 in the regular Roth and $12,389 in the Roth.

You can withdraw all $12389 from the Roth. You have to pay taxes on the traditional. But if you are in a 15% tax bracket, you can withdraw $14832 after taxes.

You only "win" on a Roth if you are in a higher tax bracket at retirement OR you have maxed out your traditional.

People ignore the prepayment of the tax and the corresponding opportunity cost.

edited July 21, 2024 3:18PM

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I know exactly what a Roth is and it would have cost my father money. It might even be costing YOU money because I bet your are ignoring the value of the initial tax deduction.

See my prior post. Do the math. Roth are not so much tax free as taxes prepaid. They are better than non-IRA money but not necessarily better than a traditional.

The bad advice is telling someone to fund a Roth without full consideration of their tax situation.

@BAJJERFAN said:

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

My father had an RMD. But that doesnt matter. When you put money in a 401k or deductible IRA, they are the last dollars earned and at your highest marginal rate. When you withdraw them in retirement, the first dollars are at 0%, the next dollars at 14%, etc. The average tax rate at withdrawal is lower than the initial deductible tax rate.

[Obviously, not if you are in a lower tax bracket now.]

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Here's a great AARP tool which really helps you see the cost of the Roth vs Traditional based on tax brackets.

https://www.aarp.org/work/retirement-planning/roth_vs_traditional_401k_calculator.html?cmp=KNC-DMP-COR-Core-Retirement-NonBrand-Exact-AdTest-53217-GOOG-RETIREMENT-Rothvs.Traditional401(K)Calculator-Exact-NonBrand&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw4_K0BhBsEiwAfVVZ_6PyNJefId18riTHxq63h-yUsAMO4o2GwFp6uL7u_at2o9WjE2Fw0BoCsE8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We were talking about what he could do with the $3000 that he received from his dad and what to spend it on.
    The Roth IRA was what one suggested, nothing to do with a regular or traditional IRA. This is not earned money and has nothing to do with a 401K at the work place.
    It would be considered after tax money.
    If you have a Roth Ira everything you put in it AND everything it gains is not subject to RMD OR taxes if you follow the guild lines of the Roth Ira.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2024 5:08PM

The problems with asking for finance advice here are:
    1) none of us knows your specific financial circumstances and so you are only going to get generic answers, which may or may not be best for you.
    2) some people have given good advice and some have given bad advice, but how do you know which is which?

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy the smell & texture of brand new & sequential currency.
    When at the Bank, I always ask what's new coming out of the loaded counters.
    I've noticed brand new $1's smell just like $100's.

If you got spending it needs, then keep one of their Benjamin, or trade it for a 100 $1 or a hundred pack of $2 to sniff on when you are keeping your loved one alive in your mind.

There's nothing like new cash smell.

• mlittlemlittle Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

Help the U.S, Mint out---buy 2024 Morgan/Peace dollars :smile:

@alaura22 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Just to be clear

I KNOW THAT. Assuming that he gets a bit more than $25K from Soc Sec it takes a pretty good sized 401k balance to generate an RMD that will take you to the 29% bracket from the way the RMD balance is calculated.

theknowitalltroll;
    edited July 21, 2024 7:11PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@alaura22 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@alaura22 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Just to be clear

That's not true. You are ignoring the opportunity cost. Let's say you have are going to put $1000 into an iRA and you are in a 29% tax bracket. You put $1000 in a regular IRA but $710 in a Roth (you have to pay the tax). You yield 10% per year for 30 years. At that point, you have $17,450 in the regular Roth and $12,389 in the Roth.

You can withdraw all $12389 from the Roth. You have to pay taxes on the traditional. But if you are in a 15% tax bracket, you can withdraw $14832 after taxes.

You only "win" on a Roth if you are in a higher tax bracket at retirement OR you have maxed out your traditional.

People ignore the prepayment of the tax and the corresponding opportunity cost.

That's the kicker, investing both accounts at 10% yield will favor the traditional. You can invest a Roth or even a traditional IRA in more variety than you can a 401k. When there are so many good stocks to pick from 10% return with a Roth is rather pedestrian.

theknowitalltroll;
    edited July 21, 2024 5:52PM

@alaura22 said:
    We were talking about what he could do with the $3000 that he received from his dad and what to spend it on.
    The Roth IRA was what one suggested, nothing to do with a regular or traditional IRA. This is not earned money and has nothing to do with a 401K at the work place.
    It would be considered after tax money.
    If you have a Roth Ira everything you put in it AND everything it gains is not subject to RMD OR taxes if you follow the guild lines of the Roth Ira.

You're assuming that he would report and pay taxes on the $3000. None of my beeswax if he does or doesn't. All you need do is to have EARNED $3000 in W-2 wages from somewhere. Where the actual money that you contribute comes from doesn't matter.

theknowitalltroll;
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Rolls of coins from your bank for roll searching.😀

Yes, 300,000 cents! B)

Just think of the possibilities!$$$

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Take a pic of the notes and have it framed, and then pay off the car.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file