Home U.S. Coin Forum

A set of Mercury Dimes in a Whitman Album....

hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been a coin and paper money collector as long as I can remember. The feeling of doing a collection was always intriguing to me. When my parents emigrated from Portugal to the US, I had a difficult time adjusting, as a 7 year old living 3Km from the beach on over an acre of property moving to an apartment in a city in NJ wasn't exactly easy. A neighbor in the Apartment building noticed I was having a hard time and asked my mom if I was interested in anything, my mom told her I had a coin collection in Portugal, so she put together a small set of coins she had. I was really interested in the small dime with a pretty lady and wings. Throughout my teens I would buy any Winged Liberty/Mercury dimes that I could afford. Most where just constitutional silver, but I had a small set. About 10 years ago, I decided to complete the set. And while I have a lot of TPG coins, this one needed to be in an album. I've been upgrading dimes as I can find them, but last 2 months I haven't found anything worth upgrading and today as I had time, it was picture taking time.

My Whitman Album of Mercury Dimes.

I don't collect verities, so I won't get the overdates (42/41), an MS dime are in their places.

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, another great set! Did that 16-D come out of a slab?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful story and great collection. Hope your 16d was selected for you. The reverse is a telling factor as so, so many have been found to be fake in old collections. Thanks for sharing. My first collection I built like you as a child into military years and lacked the 16d. When I did purchase it, I must have had 3 different dealers look at it in Abingdon, VA at a weekend coin show to be sure it was real.
    My 2nd collection I am slowly working on, of course still lacks the 16d, and I'm sure it will be an AG3 at best. Love albums.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@hfjacinto - As long as you're happen and confident it's real, we're good. I don't have the skill or knowledge to validate one of those.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2024 6:44PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    @hfjacinto - As long as you're happen and confident it's real, we're good. I don't have the skill or knowledge to validate one of those.

Oh, believe me I'm not as confident as I sound. I had the same concern (with several coins, including the 1909 S VDB, 1877 IHC and the 16D) after I purchased them and took all of them to another dealer and he did the same checks and they would have purchased them as real. So while I can never be 100% sure, I'm like 99% confident. Heck, one of the posters here purchased a 16D that was TPG, cracked it out and resubmitted it and it came back counterfeit.

@hfjacinto said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Oh, believe me I'm not as confident as I sound. I had the same concern (with several coins, including the 1909 S VDB, 1877 IHC and the 16D) after I purchased them and took all of them to another dealer and he did the same checks and they would have purchased them as real. So while I can never be 100% sure, I'm like 99% confident. Heck, one of the posters here purchased a 16D that was TPG, cracked it out and resubmitted it and it came back counterfeit.

Yes, I remember seeing that one. 😫

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set. I still have mine also. I can remember my Mom saving dimes and rolling them to take to the bank around Christmas time. I was in about 9th grade when I started collecting in earnest and these beautiful dimes, along with the Lincoln cents, were my focus.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on compiling a great “collector” set & album!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job on the Mercury dimes.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a sticker in sight ... outstanding!

All glory is fleeting.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

that might even get a g 6 if gone that way. thats a really nice set, congrats

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good old fashioned coin collecting right here! Love the set!

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! My late sister in law left a bunch of Merc’s so I purchased a Merc album for my grandson to fill. I’ll have to check on his progress.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Awesome seeing a complete set of raw coins. A lot of times the keys are slabbed.

Stars&Stripes
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine has the super rare cardboard 16d. It even says rare. Maybe I should have it slabbed.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very big achievement and a beautiful set! I have always had a sweet spot in my heart always had a soft spot in my heart for those little coins.

Great job!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set. Back in the day, I think that I found all of the Mercuries from circulation except the 1916-D.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

So very nice! I still remember the thrill I had back in the 1990's, heading to a coin show with my Lincoln Dansco and $50 in my pocket . . . . just so excited I could barely speak!! Adding a few coins per show (at $10-$20) was more exciting than buying 4-figure coins now . . . .

Great pix . .and great album!!!

Drunner

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

well done

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭

Another case where I am left speachless, besides "WOW!!". Congrats yet again! :o:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file