Home U.S. Coin Forum

Old Blue Whitman Coin Folders: Show us what you have!

Anybody still put these together? I'm talking the 'press in the hole' type, not the more modern bookshelf style with the sliding plastic protectors. I had a bunch as a kid, as many of us had, and continue to fill 'em up.

Comments

• gorebelsgorebels Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Edit, I put these together as a kid. Haven’t messed with them for years.

Nice sets! I recently broke down two sets of Franklins and rolled them for silver bullion. Nice 49-s and 55-p Franklins sell for 24x face today.

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2024 11:45AM

@gorebels said:
    I’ve already resolved that I’m cracking out slabbed coins to fill the remaining holes. The Bust Half is in my vice now.

Great going. Very nice set of coins.

I would love to see the 1796 Quarter cracked out for the whitman. ;)

Jokes aside, wish you all the very best in your endeavor.
    Cheers.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing to see a flowing hair half and a draped bust dollar in a Whitman folder.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring back album and folder collecting!

All glory is fleeting.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

I have a few of these buried somewhere. I sorta hate to get rid of them 😕

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some Lincoln cents blue folders from when I was a kid starting out collecting with my dad. In the last few years, I’ve been collecting the 1st and 2nd editions from the early 40’s. I’ve posted them before, but if you haven’t already seen them:

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I have a few of these buried somewhere. I sorta hate to get rid of them 😕

Agreed! As you can see, I was a very smart 9 year old. I scotch taped the coin in, so I wouldn't lose them! 🤣 😂 :D

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@vulcanize said:

@gorebels said:
    I’ve already resolved that I’m cracking out slabbed coins to fill the remaining holes. The Bust Half is in my vice now.

I would love to see the 1796 Quarter cracked out for the whitman. ;)

I thought about pulling out some of those “RARE" plugs as I have some nice low grade coins that would fit but I like keeping the album original, like my coins. There might be a good debate there…

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have a few. A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I spent an evening going through loose change to fill in some holes.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭

I have this one, filled from circulation starting in the summer of '94

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hated it when as a kid I had to push so hard to get the coin in the hole the backing on the folder tore. Also my thumb got sroe. I guess I should have had a TV remote to get my fingers strengthened. Ha Ha :D

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had some, but upgraded to albums with slides. I still have a bunch of empty ones in boxes lying around though for some reason, don’t even remember where I picked up half of them.

Mr_Spud

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭

I have just about all the above Whitman blue folders, but don't come close to having all of them filled or even close to filled. Started the hobby at the feet of my grandparents & never changed from blue Whitman folders. Such a fun time collecting all I have, but acquisitions have slowed down to practically nothing these days other than trying to stay current to eventually hand down to the kids/grandkids....... Congrats on such beautiful completed sets displayed!

--Dave :)

One more to go, that 1796, and my half cent folder is complete.

@JWP said:
    I hated it when as a kid I had to push so hard to get the coin in the hole the backing on the folder tore. Also my thumb got sore.

That Type Set I posted had more than a few holes that I had to judiciously open up with a fresh straightedge razor blade. The 1799 Bust Dollar took a bit of time to fit.

Probably a third of the 19th century coins didn’t fit in the holes. Most openings were too big. You’ll see white spacers sandwiched in those holes.

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the below for about 20 years (the old ones that is). I recently moved all of these to a Dansco.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file