Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you find NGC star (*) designation on par with CAC labeled coins

I have 2 star designated buffaloes and they look better than some of the CAC coins of similar grade and year. I see a lot of CAC labeled coins but few star (*) labeled. I could be wrong but It seems NGC is stricter than CAC. What are your thoughts

Stars&Stripes

Comments

• Thanks for pointing out the difference. I generally look for both for my collection

Stars&Stripes
  • DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Owned about a dozen star Morgans. Looked at maybe 50 more. Never saw one that was not top third for the stated grade.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to read and see stories here of successful CAC stickered NGC Star coins.
    Bonus points if it receives the coveted gold CAC.

peacockcoins

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Buff sure looks cac to my eyes, off a photo of course, but the eye appeal is all there

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy looking at images of the small remaining population of coins that have a look that extends beyond a grade assigned by a TPG followed by any sticker.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• starsandstripesstarsandstripes Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2024 7:01PM

Not sure what NGC eye appeal translates to. My own definition of eye appeal is problem free, nice strike for the date, clean fields, very few if any bag marks and pleasing mint luster. Even if a coin has a CAC sticker which I have a few of I still scrutinize the coin to my liking and understanding of the series.

Stars&Stripes
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

@starsandstripes said:
    Not sure what NGC eye appeal translate to. My own definition of eye appeal is problem free, nice strike for the date, clean fields, very few if any bag marks and pleasing mint luster. Even if a coin has a CAC sticker which I have a few of I still scrutinize the coin to my liking and understanding of the series.

For purposes of their Star designation (for exceptional eye appeal), NGC’s criteria are different from yours.
    See here: https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/806/

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• starsandstripesstarsandstripes Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2024 3:54PM

Thanks MFeld, I did read this and it does say " free of any distracting planchet irregularities, as well as distracting spots or blemishes" which is some but not all of my criteria I mentioned.
    I agree there is a distinction between star and CAC but it would need to be put to the test. Since there are so few star
    designations and many CAC designations. Since star designation comes first then send in for CAC sticker, I would be curious
    to know how many star designations sent to CAC do not get a sticker. If it could be done take a CAC stickered coin and send to NGC for * designation how many would fail.

So what I look for in a coin is what is covered by * and CAC

Stars&Stripes
  • VKurtBVKurtB Posts: 16 ✭✭

@starsandstripes said:
    Thanks MFeld, I did read this and it does say " free of any distracting planchet irregularities, as well as distracting spots or blemishes" which is some but not all of my criteria I mentioned.
    I agree there is a distinction between star and CAC but it would need to be put to the test. Since there are so few star
    designations and many CAC designations. Since star designation comes first then send in for CAC sticker, I would be curious
    to know how many star designations sent to CAC do not get a sticker. If it could be done take a CAC stickered coin and send to NGC for * designation how many would fail.

They are not even similar in application.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@starsandstripes said:

CAC only considers the grade on PCGS and NGC slabs, it does not evaluate whether a coin deserves a plus or a star. If a NGC coin with a star is solid for the grade, CAC will sticker the coin. If the coin is not solid for the grade or has PVC, CAC will not sticker the coin. CACG does award pluses; but, it does not award stars.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1920 Buffalo would likely not sticker. It also might not cross to PCGS.

It was likely slabbed by NGC before all the services got tough on Buffalo toning because of a lot of AT shenanigans on Buffalos. To be clear, I am not saying the coin is or is not AT based on these photos.

But the services (particularly CAC) have adopted a “when in doubt, call it out” attitude to Buffalo toning.

JMO.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are all star and CAC, MS65, MS64 and MS67 respectively...

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2024 9:11PM

Yes - for most part price them about the same. YMMV. Analyze them on an individual coin basis in arriving at target retail price.

Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file