Home U.S. Coin Forum

BU 1974D Lincoln Rolls

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased a small estate recently that had a handful ($5) of rolls of uncirculated Lincoln rolls in a local bank bag. I didnt see anything in my issue of the CPG to be on the lookout for. Anyone know of anything worth searching for? Should I just cash them in?

Comments

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell them on eBay if you can find a buyer.
    If they are interesting to someone they might pay a small premium.
    List them as birthday year ORIGINAL BANK ROLLS.

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

There were over 2.4 Billion 1974 D cents minted so there are plenty to go around. The only ones that would have much value would be high MS grades if you know how to grade. There are only 500 of
    them so it shouldn’t take all that long. You might even get lucky and find an error in one. I would certainly take a look even for the fun of it before disposing of them.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be sure to check for small dates. These aren't common above MS 63 and pristine.

Tempus fugit.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

Do you have comparison photos? I did not know that variety existed.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2024 6:55PM

@erwindoc said:

@cladking said:

Do you have comparison photos? I did not know that variety existed.

No. Sorry I don't. They are easy to pick out and they appear in very few solid date rolls so there should be both varieties when they do appear. IMS it's about 30% of mintage so they are not in the least bit scarce but since they don't appear in mint sets Gems and nice specimens are quite tough. The sm dt dies were produced mid-year to test and prepare for the switchover to aluminum pennies but the price of copper dropped and so were the plans. Zinc now is about the price copper was then but the FEDS no longer even make a pretense of thrift or common sense. Curiously these were made at all three mints and many of the S mint coins were shipped east to be mixed in with other pennies to discourage hoarding of the "rare" San Francisco cents. This makes it possible to actually get 4 varieties in an original roll.

The sm dt is very distinct but it is not collected because few people collect memorial cents and it is so very common in typical grades of MS-60 to MS-63. The S mint sm dt is the real dark horse since quality was so poor.

There is a picture here;

https://lincolncent.com/products/1974-d-small-date-lincoln-cent-gem-bu

I use the "4" and the distance to the rim as the pick up point. Look for specimens with nice full steps on the reverse that are very clean with original luster. I am not associated with the linked website.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file