Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting mix of fake/real eBay coins

Search seller "Anthony’s Stamps and Coins" and check the coins in the white holders. How many fakes can you spot? I’ll start: the 1942/1 dime.

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link(s) please?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CregCreg Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

@gorebels said:
    Search seller "Anthony’s Stamps and Coins"…

I can wait for you to post the pics.

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

Can’t help you without links to what coins you say are counterfeits.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, he's talking about a coin shop that's been in business longer than I've been alive, has 216K sales on eBay and a 99.7% positive feedback

https://www.ebay.com/str/anthonysstampsandcoins

I call BUNK.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2024 6:40AM

I don't see anything wrong.

It is interesting that the OP has averaged only barely more than one post per year since he joined.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking at the 42/1 dimes, photos aren’t clear enough to say either way.
    I would not call them counterfeit based on sellers record without definite proof.

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

When I use my phone to enlarge the pics in the ebay app, that 1942/1 looks pretty suspicious. Also, here's the listing link for anyone who's curious.

The coin on eBay:

As opposed to a less worn VF 30 example from Coin Facts:

@Shurke said:
    When I use my phone to enlarge the pics in the ebay app, that 1942/1 looks pretty suspicious. Also, here's the listing link for anyone who's curious.

The coin on eBay:

It looks beyond suspicious to me. Reported and seller has been messaged, as well.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• gorebelsgorebels Posts: 65 ✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2024 5:06PM

@CRHer700 said:

It is interesting that the OP has averaged only barely more than one post per year since he joined.

Interesting? OK…. I hope you only buy slabbed coins from reputable sellers.

Check out his 55/55 DDO. The common "Smiling Abe" counterfeit with different rotations on both sides of the obverse, double rim and porous letters:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145886769761

edited July 17, 2024 5:16PM

I’m not 100% certain but the low relief, porosity at rims and an occasional pimple here and there makes me doubt the authenticity of this S-VDB too (spark erosion copy.) MM looks to be the correct lower/right position of the four known.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126573503001

@MFeld said:

@Shurke said:

The coin on eBay:

It looks beyond suspicious to me. Reported and seller has been messaged, as well.i

@BStrauss3 said:
    FWIW, he's talking about a coin shop that's been in business longer than I've been alive, has 216K sales on eBay and a 99.7% positive feedback

I call BUNK.

Do you think I was incorrect in my post below?

@MFeld said:

@Shurke said:

The coin on eBay:

>

It looks beyond suspicious to me. Reported and seller has been messaged, as well.i

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@MFeld said:

@Shurke said:

The coin on eBay:

@BStrauss3 said:

I call BUNK.

Do you think I was incorrect in my post below?

@MFeld said:

@Shurke said:

The coin on eBay:

>

I think OP makes some very good points and knows what he's talking about. And the seller seems pretty reputable but all sorts of crazy things can happen... There's another thread on the front page currently about a holdered counterfeit that we just had removed from a SB auction. Even very above board sellers are not immune to making a mistake.

I do find OP's post history a little amusing but that's a whole separate thing.

@BStrauss3 said:

I call BUNK.

Do you think that the seller’s 1955 DDO posted to this thread is genuine?

The 55/55 DDO sold for $1829 + $25 shipping (31 bids)

The svdb sold for $2962 + $35 shipping (45 bids)

The 42/1 dime sold for $437 + $12 shipping (19 bidders)

-wow-

@BStrauss3 said:

I call BUNK.

If volume meant anything then "Great Southern Coins" would be the best dealer in the world.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld My suspicion is that you won't get an answer to your question. Based on his responses to my prior posts (in other threads), his MO is to make an incorrect or misguided statement with great authority and then disappear. I thought it was just me (as I can be peevish at times) but I guess it's everyone.

But I did some digging and I think I found your answer.

• Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭✭

I've messaged this seller about fake coins in their auctions and they said they'd look into it, and never took down the listings.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

Has an eBay buyer ever took legal action against eBay for facilitating the sale of a counterfeit coin? I’ve won fake/altered coins (I’m waiting for my 1909-s / 1909-svdb penny I just won) but have always been able to promptly return them. Less knowledgeable buyers might have to wait for the body-bag, nullifying the return period.

@Davidk7 said:
    I've messaged this seller about fake coins in their auctions and they said they'd look into it, and never took down the listings.

This seller is now just selling stamps, all under a buy-it-now format… no auctions, no more coins.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gorebels said:

@CRHer700 said:

Interesting? OK…. I hope you only buy slabbed coins from reputable sellers.

Check out his 55/55 DDO. The common "Smiling Abe" counterfeit with different rotations on both sides of the obverse, double rim and porous letters:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145886769761

OK, those do look suspicious, however to my defense my browser would not let me zoom the image. From far away they looked ok.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gorebels said:

@Davidk7 said:

This seller is now just selling stamps, all under a buy-it-now format… no auctions, no more coins.

Interesting evolution.

I have bought from this seller for many years, on and off. I knew someone who did a lot of business with them but is now deceased. The dealer is experienced and knowledgeable but doesn't know everything. My friend once bought a $2000 German 20 mark from him for bullion. He bought most of Anthony's junk for years.
    I'm not claiming that this is the case here but sometimes dealers just don't care if they sell counterfeits, especially if they get away with most of these sales. They can then deal with the problems on a case by case basis.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

@gorebels said:

@Davidk7 said:

While that's the case at this moment, they sold a number of coins by auction, just yesterday. Scroll down this linked page a bit to see the results:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=145886769761&rt=nc&_ssn=anthonysnj-stampsandcoins&LH_Complete=1

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just bought a Pennsylvania scrip note from them a three days ago.

scrip

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file