Home U.S. Coin Forum

1997-P Nickel, Incomplete Clip?

CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this nickel yesterday in a bank box and am wondering if anyone has a real term for the error that caused it. Before you say that it is not an error, I want to say that I am 99% sure that it is some sort of mint error related to a clip. It appears that there is a tiny rim clip or weird Blakseys affect at around 8 o’clock on the obverse, but you can’t see it except for edge on, and on the reverse it appears like a blakseys affect. If you were to perfectly bisect the nickel starting at the tiny clip and going to the other side of the nickel you see what originally caught my eye, a large area that seems to be some sort of incomplete clip. I included pics of both edges to show you that I do not believe it to be a file job. The green circle is the same spot on both the obverse and the reverse. Any comments are helpful.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

Comments

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry – that’s not an incomplete clip or any type of US mint planchet defect.
    It’s post minting damage – what you see on the reverse is the result of the damage to the obverse rim area – there’s no Blakesley effect opposite it.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is not PMD, the lettering around the area will show metal flow toward the area.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

It certainly is the weirdest PMD that I have ever seen.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

How so?

edited July 16, 2024 4:39PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@CRHer700 said:

How so?

I have seen a lot of PMD. This does not look like it to me. That is what I see, not necessarily what you see. I am not sure how to describe what I am thinking, but it looks like something that came from the mint when you look at it in person, and it doesn't look like it has been hit, filed, or anything else. I'm not sure.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would need better pictures of the obverse but it may be a defective planchet. I would not call it a clip since it was not part of the planchet making process, but more like a lamination or some other damage. The weak reverse details opposite the defect, along with the consistent rim diameter, have me thinking the metal was missing prior to the strike. You would not see Blakesley effect since the diameter of the planchet wasn't affected, just the thickness.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sean, I hear what you’re saying, but I based my comments on what I can see in the photos and I don’t see any metal flow on the obverse area in question.

In-hand, another person could see something different of course.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

@seanq said:
    Would need better pictures of the obverse but it may be a defective planchet. I would not call it a clip since it was not part of the planchet making process, but more like a lamination or some other damage. The weak reverse details opposite the defect, along with the consistent rim diameter, have me thinking the metal was missing prior to the strike. You would not see Blakesley effect since the diameter of the planchet wasn't affected, just the thickness.

Sean Reynolds

That seems like at lest a possibility, as it doesn't really look like a clip. What could have caused metal to be removed before striking though?

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lack of metal flow on the opposite side, if verified with better photos or in-hand inspection, pretty much guarantees that the opposite damage was caused pre striking. But for now it looks somewhat pinched, which would damage both sides and cause the flat appearance.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

@jacrispies said:
    The lack of metal flow on the opposite side, if verified with better photos or in-hand inspection, pretty much guarantees that the opposite damage was caused pre striking. But for now it looks somewhat pinched, which would damage both sides and cause the flat appearance.

Here are some better pictures.
    Obverse:

Reverse:

Edge with obverse facing up:

Edge at a slant.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file