Home U.S. Coin Forum

Old time collector doesn't get it.

I've been collecting large size bust quarters for many years. Just bought an 1820 vg 10 graded by pcgs for 275.00 .Was looking at ebay and they were trying to sell 2 , 1 0unce future ..2024 bullion coins graded 7o for 300+ . The problem I have is that future collectors buying these things are going to get burned and have a negative view of the hobby. 2 ounces of silver and 2 pieces of plastic isn't worth 75.00 to me.

Comments

• EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

At $150 each, I'd say. As collectors we should always collect what we want, not to impress or for bragging rights. What does it for me are the fancy stickers that carry a hefty premium. I've always bought based on my eye appeal rather than that of another. Why the nessessity when they have a plus and star designation which means the same thing? Just my opinion.

• CregCreg Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2024 5:42PM

Don’t fret, we’re not meant to get it.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bustquarterhound said:
    I've been collecting large size bust quarters for many years. Just bought an 1820 vg 10 graded by pcgs for 275.00 .Was looking at ebay and they were trying to sell 2 , 1 0unce future ..2024 bullion coins graded 7o for 300+ . The problem I have is that future collectors buying these things are going to get burned and have a negative view of the hobby. 2 ounces of silver and 2 pieces of plastic isn't worth 75.00 to me.

Similar thoughts that I have had. But.... guess we all collect what we like. There are many aspects to this hobby, and to each their own.

----- kj
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2024 12:02AM

@Ebeneezer said:
    At $150 each, I'd say. As collectors we should always collect what we want, not to impress or for bragging rights. What does it for me are the fancy stickers that carry a hefty premium. I've always bought based on my eye appeal rather than that of another. Why the nessessity when they have a plus and star designation which means the same thing? Just my opinion.

The plus and star mean different things. A 64+ is a grade better than 64. A 64 star is a 64 with exceptional eye appeal but represents a lower overall grade than a64+.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    Collect what you want, but don't collect for profit.

Nothing wrong with collecting for profit. Many people have done very well. Just don’t expect it to be easy.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inexperienced collectors will buy bullion for way too much and make other "mistakes". If they get enjoyment and satisfaction, who am I to say that it was a mistake?

Smart, experienced collectors do well financially despite their collecting instincts.

My decision to collect obsolete currency in a big way came a couple of years after the first comprehensive catalog of this material was published in 1987 (Haxby) and the existence of this catalog was a strong influence in my decision. I knew that it would result in an increase in the number of collectors, and, sure enough, it did.

Choosing what and when to collect can make a difference in the end financial reward and can be done without sacrificing enjoyment and interest in what you collect.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2024 12:27PM

eneezer said:

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morgan13 said:

eneezer said:

A plus and a star don’t mean the same thing. The plus is supposed to signify superior quality, whereas the star is for exceptional eye appeal.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld
    Thanks for your clarification. I posted that image becasue sellitstore mentioned the grading.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭✭

I see these profiteers on TV with so-called deals on Silver Eagles and Kennedy half dollars encapsulated in their First Strike, signature, and other special labels. A lot of collectors are getting suckered on the deals and will be very upset when they go to try sell these coins.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Ebeneezer said:

The plus and star man different things.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file