Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a common thing with PCGS?

Hi there,
Newbie to the site. Australian. Thanks for having me.
Just a query re PCGS.

Recently at an Australian online auction I purchased a a raw 1951 Australian, Half Penny. Nice coin in hand. Uncirculated.
Described as a Plain variety Reverse with a Obverse type 4which has a mintage of less than 27,000 coins.

After purchase, I went to the PCGS site to check on the Australian Population only to find that PCGS do not recognise the different varieties of the Obverses for the 1951 Half Penny,......just the three different Reverses. The difference in value of the 1951 Half Penny with a Obverse 4 can be anywhere of up to $4,000 AUD.

I wrote to PCGS last week and provided a lot of evidence of the acknowledged existence of this variety, both in Rennicks guide and an article by the Benchmark Catalogue and PCGS got back to me just saying it will stay as is on their population grading. A stack of evidence but I don't think they even looked at it.

My question is,.......is this a common response from PCGS to barely follow anything up? Can I take it higher?

Unlike the USA,....Australia has a young history of coins and compared to the many varieties that can be listed for coins from the States, I am very angry that PCGS couldn't take the time to consider the option of adequately expanding the population of a coin that they obviously didn't know existed.

Are NGC as bad?

TIA

Best Answers

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am NOT an expert on Australian coins.

That said, I found the following on "VarietyPlus", the guide to NGC-recognized varieties:

Source: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/australia/australia-circulation-issues/1-2p/

Is this you?

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lindi55 said:
    Hi Metro D,
    Thanks so much for your response. The link is very helpful and certainly the result is more than what I came up with during my search of the NGC site.

May I ask please what happens if I pay the $18 fee? (Sorry to sound vague).

Does it mean that because the 1951 HP variety is recognised in that section that n NGC acknowledges it? If o that would be just super.

Once again. Thanks so much for your helpful link.

Regards

@Lindi55,

I have more experience with PCGS than NGC.

That said, the '1951(P) No Dot OBV T4 1/2P' is on the list of NGC-recognized varieties. To me, this suggests that NGC would examine a coin, and assign the variety designation if warranted, as part of a normal grading submission. To be 100% sure, you could check with NGC.

As to cost, it looks like it would be an extra $18 USD for the variety 'confirmation/attribution', in addition to the other submission costs (e.g., grading, return shipping, handling fee, etc.). In other words, the variety attribution is an "add-on" service.

:)

Answers

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would check with NGC as they do a lot of world coins. Good luck getting your coin attributed. Also welcome to the forum.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    I would check with NGC as they do a lot of world coins. Good luck getting your coin attributed. Also welcome to the forum.

I also suggest posting this on the world and ancient coins forum here:
    https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• @MetroD said:
    I am NOT an expert on Australian coins.

That said, I found the following on "VarietyPlus", the guide to NGC-recognized varieties:

Source: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/australia/australia-circulation-issues/1-2p/

Is this you?

Hi Metro D,
    Thanks so much for your response. The link is very helpful and certainly the result is more than what I came up with during my search of the NGC site.

Does it mean that because the 1951 HP variety is recognised in that section that n NGC acknowledges it? If o that would be just super.

Regards

• @MetroD said:

@Lindi55 said:
    Hi Metro D,

Regards

@Lindi55,

I have more experience with PCGS than NGC.

That said, the '1951(P) No Dot OBV T4 1/2P' is on the list of NGC-recognized varieties. To me, this suggests that NGC would examine a coin, and assign the variety designation if warranted, as part of a normal grading submission. To be 100% sure, you could check with NGC.

As to cost, it looks like it would be an extra $18 USD for the variety 'confirmation/attribution', in addition to the other submission costs (e.g., grading, return shipping, handling fee, etc.). In other words, the variety attribution is an "add-on" service.

:)

Thank you.
    Yes...makes sense.
    I have written to NGC.

Thanks again.

Lindi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file