Home U.S. Coin Forum

1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent Coming Back Home From England. Variety?

zrnumismaticszrnumismatics Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
edited July 13, 2024 12:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi,
This was a recent purchase during my travels in England. I saw how bold the date was, and I couldn't pass it it up - despite the issues. I was wondering if it is possible to pin down the Sheldon variety in this state of preservation?
Thanks all.

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know about the variety but I can help with the date😉 - it’s a 1794, not a !974

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that the duck lip variety?
    In all seriousness are you sure its authentic?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• zrnumismaticszrnumismatics Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I don’t know about the variety but I can help with the date😉 - it’s a 1794, not a !974

fixed.

@gumby1234 said:
    Is that the duck lip variety?
    In all seriousness are you sure its authentic?

No. I'm not 100% sure, but if it was counterfeit - it would have more damage than any counterfeit I've seen. Seller has a retail coin shop and said it came in with a collection of 1700s / 1800s European coppers.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legit or not, it makes for a great conversation piece, given where you acquired it. And even better if it happens to be the real deal.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2024 12:58PM

Closest match I could find by quickly scanning all known varieties vs what details are left is Sheldon 57, R1. I wouldn’t bet the house on it, but I’m relatively sure.
    I assume you verified that there is edge lettering on the coin?

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@Nysoto said:
    S-57 Pyramidal Head. The die state is an early DS5 with the die bulge over ICA and the start of the die crack from rim to upper lip. Very nice coin with a story to tell, congrats.

Each of the 1794 die marriages have their own character, with a lot hand engraving touch up on each working die by Scot. The three major heads are also interesting. This was my S-57 mid die state 3, should not have sold it but I will be getting another:

Thank you so much! I'm so happy that this can have a positive identification, even if it's an R1. I will be holding onto this coin for a bit, alongside my other 1780/90s copper coins.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least it has a strong date.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file