Home U.S. Coin Forum

Submission Procedure Question

124Spider124Spider Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have never submitted a coin for grading and/or attribution. So I have a question.

There's a coin for sale, for a price higher than I have ever paid for a coin, but it's a fair price. It has been graded by PCGS, but no variety attribution is mentioned on the slab.

The seller (highly reputable) says it is a variety I have been looking for for a long time. I cannot tell from the photos whether that is correct or not. But, whether or not the variety is correctly identified by the seller, the coin is fairly priced (i.e., the value is not a function of the variety; it's just that I want this particular variety).

If I bought the coin, could I submit it to PCGS, asking that they either confirm (with a new slab) that it is the grade they already put on it, but also the specific variety I'm looking for, or, failing that, just return the still-slabbed to me? I don't want the coin cracked out unless it's going to get both the present grade (or higher, of course) and the desired attribution.

I don't mind buying the coin, and taking a bit of a hit on resale if it's not the right variety, but I don't want to take a risk of having it downgraded in the process.

Thanks.

Mark

Comments

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest asking the eBay seller if they can supply better photos of the area(s) showing the variety.before buying it.

Submit as a variety attribution / reholder .... you get the same grade, same cert number, new slab and variety if PCGS agrees,

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just submit the coin for a reholder and ask for variety attribution. You have no risk of grade change and it is the most cost effective way as well.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like you may want to retain the old holder if it isn't the variety?

Probably the best way is to post pictures here and ask for confirmation if the holder is potentially important to you.

They MAY do Variety Attribution under the Reconsideration option (where they don't crack out unless upgraded) but they also may not do the attribution/reholder unless the coin upgrades.

The variety reholder will probably not work (no crack unless variety) unless you notate the heck out of it and that's playing with fire if you value the current holder. The variety team has made several technical (not numismatic) errors on my variety reholders recently.

Regrade will re-holder the coin no matter what. As, of course, will a reholder.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2024 7:03AM

PCGS only attributes "select" varieties.
    Do they recognize your specific variety?
    Reference

If yes, others have provided guidance. (FWIW, I agree with the photo confirmation recommendations.)
    If no, you might want to consider 'Variety Slabbing Service' @ https://www.varslab.com/vamseal.html

Edited to add the sentence about photo confirmation.

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

Yes, the variety I'm interested in is on the PCGS list, and I have seen other examples of this one attributed by PCGS.

To make sure I'm reading this correctly: If I were to take the plunge and buy this coin, I could submit it to PCGS for reholder, asking for variety attribution. That guarantees that they'll give it the same grade, and they'll decide whether it is the variety I'm asking about? If it's a different variety, would they say what variety it is (all versions of this coin are one identified variety--die pair--or another), or just deny my identification?

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2024 10:41AM

To make sure I'm reading this correctly: If I were to take the plunge and buy this coin, I could submit it to PCGS for reholder, asking for variety attribution. YES

That guarantees that they'll give it the same grade, and they'll decide whether it is the variety I'm asking about? YES

If it's a different variety, would they say what variety it is (all versions of this coin are one identified variety--die pair--or another), **THIS **

or just deny my identification? NOT THIS

I want to give a shout-out to @IkesT, who identified the variety for me; and it's not the one I wanted.

For anyone interested, here is the link to the coin:

https://www.davidlawrence.com/inventory/784915

I'm looking for a W-01 or W-02, and this coin didn't have the die cracks I would expect to see. @IkesT did the detective work to identify it as a late die state W-07.

Thank you all for your help (especially @IkesT); I saved a bunch of money and trouble, and can move on from this coin.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:
    If I bought the coin, could I submit it to PCGS, asking that they either confirm (with a new slab) that it is the grade they already put on it, but also the specific variety I'm looking for, or, failing that, just return the still-slabbed to me? I don't want the coin cracked out unless it's going to get both the present grade (or higher, of course) and the desired attribution.

Mark, as noted by others, a "reholder" with "variety attribution" is fine. No reconsideration of grade will be done - it will be cracked out and reholdered with the same cert#, only this time it'll have the attribution (assuming you've checked that they attribute the particular variety you're interested in). Per their submission form: "Coin will not be regraded."

However, you mention "present grade or higher," and that is a reconsideration. If you ask for a reconsideration, you cannot also ask for variety attribution in the same submission - you get the slab back, upgraded or not upgraded, and then you have to send it in again for variety. This is tragic, of course, and I griped about that circumstance in another thread, which I cannot now find and which may be entirely missing from the forum now. Odd. The salient part of the submission form is: "ONLY ONE TYPE OF SUBMISSION AT ONE SERVICE LEVEL IS PERMITTED PER FORM."

But if you just reholder, you'll get the same grade with the attribution (and Gold Shield if you so desire, which will include TrueViews). It's good to send several coins at once, as the shipping and handling charges can be diluted with more coins... up to the point of the next insurance premium increment.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file