Home U.S. Coin Forum

Composition of this 1887 Gioacchino Rossini Token

Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

I found a few examples of this item in bronze, but I am questioning the composition of this one. It almost looks to me like it is some kind of gold colored plate on top of some other metal. It just looks bad and seems to be corroded or worn through. It is non magnetic if that helps anyone. Does anyone have ideas on what this might be made of?

Rob the Newbie

Comments

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably gilt bronze. Just a guess of course.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like bronze with gold paint on it.
    Acetone or paint thinner would dissolve the gold color if it is paint.
    If it is plated, the solvent won't do anything.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like gilt bronze.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Btw, there are other groups on here that might be able to help you better on non-US material

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    It looks like bronze with gold paint on it.
    Acetone or paint thinner would dissolve the gold color if it is paint.
    If it is plated, the solvent won't do anything.

I agree with this.

Also, based on the surface texture and the large lumps in certain areas (like 5:30 on the obverse,) it appears to be a low quality cast piece rather than a die struck medal that was corroded. My guess is that the OP medal is a counterfeit, or a very low quality re-issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file