Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm starting to get irritated over a bungled submission.....

OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 11, 2024 3:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sent 5 Buffalos to Great Collections for submission to PCGS for grading and variety attribution. 4 of 5 were slam-dunk varieties, the 5th was 50-50. They were received on March 24 and I assume they were submitted in a timely matter. Three weeks ago got a message from GC, coins were returned with no attribution, even though the very pleasant woman I spoke to checked my submission invoice and said I had filled it out correctly. Said coins would be returned to PCGS as "mecahnical errors". This happened once before on a personal submission and PCGS paid for two-way shipping and returned the coins in a week. It's now 3 weeks and no action, as far as I can determine. Beginning to suspect I'm in the back of the line again.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Comments

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

Hundred year old coins are much more patient than we are.

Hope that you get the attributions sorted out in reasonable time.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are they varieties that are recognized by PCGS? Do you have any pics of these variety coins?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• TimNHTimNH Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

Could you please include what you are irritated about in the title, so we can then choose whether to click and read?

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2024 3:30PM

@gumby1234 said:
    Are they varieties that are recognized by PCGS? Do you have any pics of these variety coins?

All Cherrypicker Guide listed. Can't find pics right now but I've been doing Buffalo varieties for 25 years. Believe me, I wouldn't have wasted my money if they weren't.

@TimNH said:
    Could you please include what you are irritated about in the title, so we can then choose whether to click and read?

How's that?

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does PCGS list those varieties that they recognize? Apparently, the OP submitted coins with minor varieties that PCGS doesn't recognize.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

edited July 11, 2024 3:40PM

@PerryHall said:
    Does PCGS list those varieties that they recognize? Apparently, the OP submitted coins with minor varieties that PCGS doesn't recognize.

Nice try Perry but WRONG. 1915 True 2 Feathers, 1930 FS-101 , 1936 DDO-1, 1927-D FS-901, and 1916 D, possible FS-901. Check your CPG, Doing this for 25 years.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

This type of thing can be frustrating. Unfortunately it seems to happen to most of us, but what can you do?

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    This type of thing can be frustrating. Unfortunately it seems to happen to most of us, but what can you do?

It does not seem like much but maybe if enough of these posts keep showing up on the forum, someone will notice and act. Or they might do nothing. Still there is at least a bit of catharsis by typing things out.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2024 4:16PM

A late March submission and it's now 3½ months later......that's over 60 business days if I counted the calendar correctly.

An explanation should be forthcoming ASAP!

edited to add: Regular submissions average 40 days plus a few more for attribution.

@Pnies20 said:

@TimNH said:

Yes. Just sit back in your la z boy. Could I also get you a cold beverage? Are you hungry?

Not hungry but could use a Beck's Dark, if you can find one. Another irritation.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@TimNH said:

Yes. Just sit back in your la z boy. Could I also get you a cold beverage? Are you hungry?

His request of a common courtesy sounded reasonable to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Pnies20 said:

@TimNH said:

He can request anything. That’s why I offered him a beer. Just in case. I didn’t want to make him more uncomfortable by having to type more words when I could just do it for him.

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

@Pnies20 said:

@MFeld said:

@Pnies20 said:

@TimNH said:

He can request anything. That’s why I offered him a beer. Just in case. I didn’t want to make him more uncomfortable by having to type more words when I could just do it for him.

Still waiting for it.

@lermish said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    This thread is a magnet for irritated people. Which, naturally irritates me.

I had a recent submission miss the red book varieties that were written on the form. I’m hoping they’ll add them at no charge for me.

@OnWithTheHunt said:

@Pnies20 said:

@MFeld said:

@Pnies20 said:

@TimNH said:

Still waiting for it.

No becks dark. Could I interest you in a Paulaner München?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the frustration of being , or having your coins "in between" houses...and things just not being satisfactory.

HE>I

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

While you're waiting on your beer may I ask why would you send them to GC to submit PCGS?
    Is this some kind of one stop shop. Find a coin send it to these guys then wait for a check?
    Sounds like the Wheel of Fortune!

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I understand the frustration of being , or having your coins "in between" houses...and things just not being satisfactory.

I could have complained more but it would have involved another service, one that uses blue and gold label holders. Had GC submit two lesser varieties to them at the same time and they still haven't been returned.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinscratch meant "Wheel of Torture". .... I think :joy:

HE>I

edited July 12, 2024 2:34PM

@Coinscratch said:
    While you're waiting on your beer may I ask why would you send them to GC to submit PCGS?
    Is this some kind of one stop shop. Find a coin send it to these guys then wait for a check?

Short answer, I'm cheap, and longer answer, I mainly do it when I have several better grade variety coins to sell and think potential buyers prefer to see them certified and attributed rather than trust my judgment, which is pretty darn good BTW. GC takes a smaller cut than ebay and I I don't have to pay a membership fee, which reduces my profit and ability to buy other coins for my collection. If its something for myself , I don't mind paying a membership fee and putting up with the waiting time. I just thought the current situation was enough to complain about.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OnWithTheHunt said:

Not hungry but could use a Beck's Dark, if you can find one. Another irritation.

Oh, wow. Yes! Haven’t had a BD in a good minute. But, I’d give my left arm for a real Newcastle Brown Ale. Not that sorry excuse for a beer that’s riding in their label now. It’s gross. I remember dancing away in a nightclub, in Newcastle Upon Tyne, circa 1996, with a quart bottle of Brown Ale in each hand. Two for one. Hot Brit girls everywhere, all digging the American accent. 🤣
    The crazy, stress free days of youth.

PS - McEwans Velvet Ale was an amazing beer too if you’ve ever had the pleasure. Gone as well. 😢
    Velvet couldn’t have been more accurate. Smoother than water.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@OnWithTheHunt said:

Oh, wow. Yes! Haven’t had a BD in a good minute. But, I’d give my left arm for a real Newcastle Brown Ale. Not that sorry excuse for a beer that’s riding in their label now. It’s gross. I remember dancing away in a nightclub, in Newcastle Upon Tyne, circa 1996, with a quart bottle of Brown Ale in each hand. Two for one. Hot Brit girls everywhere, all digging the American accent. 🤣
    The crazy, stress free days of youth.

PS - McEwans Velvet Ale was an amazing beer too if you’ve ever had the pleasure. Gone as well. 😢
    Velvet couldn’t have been more accurate. Smoother than water.

Thanks for the headsup. Looking for other replacement but I'll avoid the Newcasle.

@OnWithTheHunt said:

@Coinscratch said:

Short answer, I'm cheap, and longer answer, I mainly do it when I have several better grade variety coins to sell and think potential buyers prefer to see them certified and attributed rather than trust my judgment, which is pretty darn good BTW. GC takes a smaller cut than ebay and I I don't have to pay a membership fee, which reduces my profit and ability to buy other coins for my collection. If its something for myself , I don't mind paying a membership fee and putting up with the waiting time. I just thought the current situation was enough to complain about.

I figured there was a good answer thank you and you mean increase your profit. You guys are making me thirsty.

edited July 12, 2024 3:24PM

Problem solved.

@Coinscratch said:
    Problem solved.

Nice choice, I've been drinking the Guinness Extra Stout lately, and not even complaining that the bottles only hold 11.2 oz. instead of 12.

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TimNH said:

can you please not just step on others posts cause you feel your time is so important

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OnWithTheHunt said:

@Coinscratch said:
    Problem solved.

Nice choice, I've been drinking the Guinness Extra Stout lately, and not even complaining that the bottles only hold 11.2 oz. instead of 12.

Shrinkflation.......... :s

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Moving on, I can’t remember is it beer before liquor never sicker? Asking for a friend😂

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Problem solved.

The all-time, undisputed champ!
    👍🏻🇮🇪👍🏻🇮🇪👍🏻🇮🇪👍🏻🇮🇪👍🏻🇮🇪👍🏻🇮🇪👍🏻
    I’d recommend trying the Guinness Special Export if you haven’t. That’s some high test stuff.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

edited July 12, 2024 8:39PM

Guinness... might as well be drinking cold 3 day old coffee :p (JK)

Now this is a beer

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would the other grading services have been better?

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2024 6:33AM

Stuff happens. Some projects fail. Just move on with what u learned. Hopefully you did not pay much tuition.

Coins & Currency
    edited July 13, 2024 7:32AM

@logger7 said:
    Would the other grading services have been better?

Prefer PCGS because the coins seem to bring a bit more money. Not so smart this time time because 3 of 5 got details grades. But the 1930 DDO-1 was a 64, and the 36 DDO a 55, (with no attribution of course) and all were picks, so not a disaster. Did have GC send two lesser varieties to another service at the same time. Those still haven't been returned to them.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2024 7:37AM

Patience is a virtue.

"Virtue is not alway amiable".
    -John Adams

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Problem solved.

I don't know... isn't Guinness in a can like kissing your step-sister. It's not against the law or anything but it is kind of icky?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a terrible couple of submissions, different companies, but nevertheless, terrible. But after using these companies many, many times, I won't diminish their services. I have had so, so many great experiences and lately all appears to be headed in a precovid direction, at least I hope so. GC, PCGS, ANACS and NGC have all given me great service and a few for nearly 20 years and I thank them for it. Yes, a time or so, things looked bad, but I got over it. I wish the OP the best and hopefully all will turn out good for them.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@BStrauss3 said:

@Coinscratch said:
    Problem solved.

I don't know... isn't Guinness in a can like kissing your step-sister. It's not against the law or anything but it is kind of icky?

Well, that’s why I poured it in a glass. Now it’s like a distant cousin.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a 'bungled submission' through GC a year or two ago. I will never know if they error/delay was PCGS or GC caused. I now submit myself eliminating one possibility and if the grade/variety is not what I felt, I still have coin and not in forced sale.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file