Home U.S. Coin Forum

1832 Capped Bust Half Dime Attribution help please

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attribute this as an Obverse Die 5. Just starting my attributions with half dimes. So help me out. What do you think the obverse attribution would be?
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure you are correct, but with the condition of the subject coin, I felt the 8th star pointed more toward the outer downward edge, but again condition creates confusion. I didn't have access to the reverse attribution diagnostics, so I wasn't able to attempt it yet. Hoped I could pickup on obverse die attribution and then try reverse. Thank you for your help, I truly appreciate it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Thank you @Bikergeek
    Thank you @yosclimber, great information and found the website to be very helpful. Would love to have your pdf file you created in the past. Is it still available? I will attempt to purchase the Federal Half Dime book, one, if I find it and two, if I can afford it.
    Thanks.
    Jim

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen the books in the 150-200 range when offered. The Logan-McCloskey book remains the best print material out there for collectors of early half dimes.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber's comments are great here, as usual! @jesbroken, I appreciate your interest and will gladly be of help in future if I can be (feel free to PM). I have my own notes and diagnostics, but haven't published any of those to the world yet (but sometimes think of how/if/when I should).

The LM book is my bible, and my own copy is stained, and dog-eared. It also forces us to interpret. For example, regarding the third slash of M, the book's entry on 1832 LM-3 says: "The third stroke of M was removed due to lapping." This means that, during this coin's striking, there was a full M at first and then that 3rd stroke was removed. So a full M doesn't disprove reverse Q. But the missing third slash is a powerful diagnostic.

The LM book is hard to find and when it does appear, the price is high. Here's a newer book that isn't as in-depth but augments the LM book nicely, and has some good features: https://www.davidkahnrarecoins.com/u-s-half-dimes-1792-1837-variety-identification-guide-by-robert-powers.html

There's also an app that is being developed actively (currently in beta on Apple iOS, and will be ported to Android in the future. It's not my app so I don't have any info on it until its author gives me the green light to brag about it. :-)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos to both:
    @Bikergeek
    @yosclimber
    Each has been tremendously informative in the past with reference links in addition to their own comments. Members like them are what makes this forum so valuable.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2024 8:49AM

Hi Jim,

@jesbroken said:
    ... Would love to have your pdf file you created in the past. Is it still available?

I have some PDFs for seated half dime die varieties (but not for capped bust).
    Is that what you are referring to? They are all available for free download.
    https://sites.google.com/view/clintcummins/half-dime-attribution-guide

Sorry, @yosclimber, I had read an old post and remembered it to be for capbust half dimes. My bad. Thanjs for your help.
    Jim

Thanks @Bikergeek, you might regret the offer, lol.
    Jim

Anyone have a copy of Federal Half Dime, 1829-1837 Logan-McCloskey? Also, I was told there used to be a pdf file available on Internet Archive, but not available any longer. True or not. If so, someone surely has a copy of the pdf file. Would love to have the book. Thank you.
    Jim

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken , I have an extra copy of the half dime bible and have been holding on to it in hopes that I could get it to a half dime enthusiast that didnt' have one. It's yours if you want it, no charge, just PM with your shipping address. Word of caution though, these little baby busties can be incredibly addicting ;)

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    @jesbroken , I have an extra copy of the half dime bible and have been holding on to it in hopes that I could get it to a half dime enthusiast that didnt' have one. It's yours if you want it, no charge, just PM with your shipping address. Word of caution though, these little baby busties can be incredibly addicting ;)

WOW, how nice of you Cladiator, the book will be in great hands
    I love happy stories :)

@Cladiator said:

Unbelieveable. Thank you so much. What a forum, such wonderful and caring members.
    Jim

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:

WOW! Cladiator, I'm agog at your generosity. I have always held you in high esteem - but you just went and ratcheted that up 6 notches!

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

As I feel 100%.
    Jim

Can't wait to get the Bible next week. I've got my whole 9 yr date set and several extras to go thru when it comes. Thank you again @Cladiator. You don't know how excited an old man can get over a book. lol I've for sure id'd a couple of 37's as LM-5's and a 31 I can't match with anything. Has a filled N on the reverse and can only find one LM that has that but nothing else is the same. Wheeee! Good times are coming.
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file