Home U.S. Coin Forum

Two low-grade 1872-CC halves for your review

BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 19, 2024 4:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The one on the left is a WB-6 (R4) and has some dark toning but looks to be at least G6, The reverse is nice.

The one on the right is a WB-4 (R5) and has F12 wear centrally but shows weak rims; the reverse looks bent or struck through grease. I suspect the former but hope for the latter. Anyway, neither coin is choice, but I'll take the one on the left. Any ideas what caused the weak reverse on the right coin?

Would the coin on the right coin straight-grade like that? I'm deciding on whether to include it in a submission tomorrow.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin on the right is bent, I can’t tell from the image. And I don’t see any other issues that would preclude a straight grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭

If the coin on the right was slightly dished it would cause the side that was pushed out to wear faster.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems it have to be bent some to produce that wear pattern

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2024 5:39PM

I just checked to see if it rocks with the reverse against a wooden table. A "normal coin doesn't rock on either side. This coin rocks on the reverse, not on the obverse. It's bent. It rocks more at 12K and 6K axis on the obverse than 3K and 9K axis on the obverse.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    I just checked to see if it rocks with the reverse against a wooden table. A "normal coin doesn't rock on either side. This coin rocks on the reverse, not one the obverse. Not good.

Sorry to hear that but better to find out sooner, rather than later.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Barberian said:
    I just checked to see if it rocks with the reverse against a wooden table. A "normal coin doesn't rock on either side. This coin rocks on the reverse, not one the obverse. Not good.

Sorry to hear that but better to find out sooner, rather than later.

It was a cheap coin purchased over 17 years ago. Why waste money having it graded when I'll still do OK selling it raw with full disclosure for a nice discount here on the BST? It makes a good album coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file