Home U.S. Coin Forum

1898-P MORGAN PCGS MS66 MONSTER Toner! What's the value?

JobessiJobessi Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
edited July 10, 2024 10:04AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm not 100% familiar with toner prices. I just had this graded and it came back at MS66. What would the value on something like this be? I posted a link to a video I took of it before I had it graded.

https://youtu.be/hbtOiVaFd3c

Farmer & Theatre Teacher by day…

Comments

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree-not a Monster by any means, but very nice piece and probably worth a premium. Bid is $450, so I would not be surprised to see a 2x value. Have a look at Heritage prices. Surprisingly, not many toners out there for that date. A flashier one sold in 2021 for just over 1k.

Tom

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TPRC said:
    I agree-not a Monster by any means, but very nice piece and probably worth a premium. Bid is $450, so I would not be surprised to see a 2x value. Have a look at Heritage prices. Surprisingly, not many toners out there for that date. A flashier one sold in 2021 for just over 1k.

Sounds like you have a baseline for what you believe it to be worth.

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to toners beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you really want to find out what it's worth put it in an auction.
    It's a nice looking coin BTW. You'll probably fetch a decent price for it.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

An attractive coin- not going to handicap a value

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool and the toning is pleasant to look at 👍

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only the market knows what it is worth at any given time.

All glory is fleeting.
  • TunisTunis Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

That is a nice even toning. It will bring a premium. Auction to maximize your results.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2024 7:11PM

That’s not a monster toner. It has a lot of color but the colors are not bright or vibrant, and the luster doesn’t look great. (Of course, it’s possible the Trueview is not flattering or representative.). That said, it is toned on both sides, which collectors often like, and it’s a slightly better date with color. I would guess it would sell for about double MS66 prices, so $800-$1000 would be my range.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ownership adds a point as they say, nice but no monster

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll also echo that it’s not a monster nor vibrant enough (if the picture is accurate) for a huge premium. It is still a somewhat harder date for toning plus a higher grade, so a 1.5x-2x premium over a generic piece would not be surprising.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ballpark estimate: $1000

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’re getting some excellent feedback/advice here. Really nice toner - congrats!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• MS66MS66 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Congrats on the result. A very attractive coin. It used to be that true views exaggerated the color but lately they've swung in the opposite direction. So I bet this coin will bring a pretty penny at auction. Figuratively of course.

• MS66MS66 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

With the obvious stipulation that you get good photos!

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Value? A Dollar, says so right on the back.

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2024 5:18AM

Get a real world estimate - Shop it around the bourse at a show and see what they say.

My wager $450-$530. If $1000 offer, take the money and run.

Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file