Home U.S. Coin Forum

Possible Dickeson discovery piece

2»

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the physical dimensions of that letter, please?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • wood5gwood5g Posts: 30 ✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    What are the physical dimensions of that letter, please?

5 1/8" x 7 1/8"

Thanks.
    An odd size. Must have been cut down.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@CaptHenway said:
    Thanks.
    An odd size. Must have been cut down.

Looks to have beenj

Curiouser and curiouser.
    From the quality of the photocopy I would say that it is old, but I have no idea what that means.

I like your White Metal Dickeson strike. Two original DIckeson pieces is two more than most collectors have.

May I ask what got you interested in them? Do you collect So-Called Dollar?

@CaptHenway said:
    Curiouser and curiouser.
    From the quality of the photocopy I would say that it is old, but I have no idea what that means.
    '
    I like your White Metal Dickeson strike. Two original DIckeson pieces is two more than most collectors hav snatche.

May I ask what got you interested in them? Do you collect So-Called Dollar?

I'm all over the place. I like the Continental dollars in particular. I have many of the rarest Bashlow pieces and Paul Franklin pieces.
    Error pieces, Sacagawea pieces, Elder, just to name a few. If I see it and like it and it's a deal I snatch it. I regret selling most of my Elder pieces some years ago. I'll probably have some more pieces posted to get some insights from the group.
    Appreciate you asking

edited July 12, 2024 4:22PM

Cast copy of a Dickeson in lead. 5mm thick and weighed in at something like 46g going by memory

You collected Elder pieces, eh? Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Tom DeLorey.

@CaptHenway said:
    You collected Elder pieces, eh? Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Tom DeLorey.

Tom, we've had a little interaction a few months ago when I posted some Confederate fractional pieces on an old subject line that I think you were looking for information on. You were maybe going to contact the Dallas coin club about the set I posted.
    I've been in and out on some of the coin message boards , but didn't really want to hop in and just ask a bunch of questions. I think you cataloged all the Elder pieces maybe and did much research on Dickeson pieces too. Along with a myriad of other subjects. I know you are an upstanding gentleman. That's why I said that I would send the fractional set to you for research. Good to meet you Tom, I'm, Mike Clements

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2024 7:59AM

Thomas Elder!! B)

Prof. Montroville W. Dickeson!! o:)

@Maywood said:
    Thomas Elder!! B)

Prof. Montroville W. Dickeson!! o:)

Very nice. I had the copper one some years ago and regret selling badly

Thanks to those members that made an offer, but the piece is gone to a new home

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file