Home U.S. Coin Forum

What year did PCGS start using the plus in their grading?

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious, thanks!

Dave

Comments

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread, started by @Goldminers, provides a little more history.

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know that 69+ didn't exist.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2024 7:23PM

Here’s a very important tidbit. At the time plus grading started in August 2010, the cert numbers being used by PCGS were 25XXXXXX. So if you see/have a coin with a lower cert number in a holder generation for that time, that means when PCGS originally graded that coin they could not have added a plus grade.

I mention “in a holder generation for that time” because it’s possible the coin in the original holder with that low cert number may have been sent in afterwards for Reconsideration. I’ve done that, occasionally with success in getting a plus grade. With Reconsideration, PCGS retains the same cert number, but places the coin in a holder currently being used.

A final point on this subject, as implied in the above paragraph. Even if a coin has a low cert number and is still in the original holder when initially graded, it’s possible that coin could have been sent to PCGS recently for Reconsideration, but was NOT upgraded! That coin would then be returned in the original holder, as it’s not cracked out by PCGS as it would be if upgraded, or sent in for Regrade (but with Regrade, a NEW current cert number is reassigned, whether the coin upgraded or not)!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    Here’s a very important tidbit. At the time plus grading started in August 2010, the cert numbers being used by PCGS were 25XXXXXX. So if you see/have a coin with a lower cert number in a holder generation for that time, that means when PCGS originally graded that coin they could not have added a plus grade.

My entire Lincoln collection which at one time was complete with MSRD coins have not been sent in. I do know that my MS67RD 58-P upgraded to 67+, it was a BU coin roll find.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file