Home U.S. Coin Forum

Worth getting graded/slabbed?

I came across a 1964 Denver Kennedy half dollar TDO while roll hunting. Any opinions on whether or not this would grade high enough to make it worth sending in would be appreciated

Comments

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, very nice find.

What do raw examples sell for?

What do slabbed examples sell for?

What would it cost to get this example slabbed?

• SHAWNK4368SHAWNK4368 Posts: 48 ✭✭

I have never had an error coin graded, so I don't know the cost at this time. The highest sale I have seen was $4400 for a PCGS MS66. Raw examples I have seen on Ebay sold items were around $54.00, but were in mich worse condition.

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

If I were to keep it, I would slab it. Looks QDO to me but just out of curiosity, I would want an expert to judge it and have it on the label. Populations for these are fairly low. Looks at least MS64.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, great pictures!! 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• SaamSaam Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I would have it graded. Having the coin certified will confirm it as having a Quadrupled Die Obverse but also protects the coin, so its value is retained.

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get it graded

Nice find!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SHAWNK4368 said:
    I have never had an error coin graded, so I don't know the cost at this time. The highest sale I have seen was $4400 for a PCGS MS66. Raw examples I have seen on Ebay sold items were around $54.00, but were in mich worse condition.

Its not an error coin. Its a variety. Nice find by the way. Im not familiar with the pricing or the demand for these. Grading will do 2 things for you it will help protect the coin and will make it easier to sell if that day should ever come.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• SHAWNK4368SHAWNK4368 Posts: 48 ✭✭

Thanks for all of the input and knowledge.

edited July 8, 2024 5:48PM

It looks like its the 64D DDO-005 , 5-O-II-C (3)

FS 105 (13.6)

Strong triple spread on IN GOD WE TRUST, date, TY of LIBERTY, and hair at back of head.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@OAKSTAR FS 103 is not a match to his coin, look at FS 105

@gumby1234 where exactly are you looking?

@OAKSTAR go to Variety Vista

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d get it graded for sure. Pics of the overall coin don’t look half bad at all, from what I can make out.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

FS-105 is a QDO not a TDO.

edited July 8, 2024 6:00PM

@OAKSTAR here a screen grab from VV.

I know this is the website but which image are you comparing to the OP's image?

http://www.varietyvista.com/12 Kennedy Halves/DDO Detail Pages/1964DDDO005.htm

@OAKSTAR these ones.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your going to need to holder that to get decent money out of it. Trust me, i ran some for a customer while back, raw sold weak even nice, graded did much better

Okay, thanks @gumby1234

• BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @OAKSTAR go to Variety Vista

Thanks for the great website reference. I did not know.

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

@Barbercoin You're welcome

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heritage has sold a couple dozen. It looks to me that the values are minimal below MS-66. Yours looks pretty nice. It's a gamble.

https://coins.ha.com/c/search/results.zx?term=1964-d+fs-105&si=2&dept=1909&archive_state=5327&sold_status=1526&mode=archive&page=200~1&sb=5&ic4=SortBy-071515

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

GreatCollections has an auction archive too.
    FS-103 in 65 only netted $37 in February 2024.

FS-105 did better, at $100 for an MS64 recently.

I will let more experienced folks here decide which one it is!

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless one just wants their variety piece officially identified, graded with a number, and encased in plastic to protect it from mishandling, TPG slabbing the piece that the "market" values under $100 is kind of a wash, in my opinion.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file