Home U.S. Coin Forum

1969-D 1 cent no FG Memorial

Good morning,

FIND: A while back I was going through some of my dads penny rolls and all of these were in a bank issued roll. While inspecting this particular roll of 1969-D pennies I found 4 that are 100% floating roof and no FG. I also found a several more where the FG is very faint? Note: In my opinion all of these will grade red to red brown MS-61 or higher.

MY QUESTION: Was the FG missing when the die was created or was it polished off, If polished would that explain why several of my coins have very faint remnants for the FG.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1969-d-1c-no-fg-fs-901-rd/415500

Comments

• RSBRSB Posts: 19

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    The FG was polished off and that is also what made the floating roof. ;)

Thank you, after finding the faint FG's along with the obvious "NO' FG's I suspected this to be the case. I have these in slips ready to go. Based on the current listing value and low PCGS population I plan to send all of them in on my next submission. Sadly this one roll was the only one to hold this variety. Needless to say it was an enjoyable discovery. Being from my dads collection I'll probably keep a few (high grades, LOL!), then distribute the rest to family members.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before spending money on TPG slabbing and error attribution ask yourself just how much will these actually be worth. Is there any real demand for them? Is this a coin that has a one-way market ... I want to sell this to you for a big profit but I would never pay a premium to buy one myself.

Don't waste money on minor varieties that few collectors care about. I seriously doubt if your family members want one of these.

All glory is fleeting.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Before spending money on TPG slabbing and error attribution ask yourself just how much will these actually be worth. Is there any real demand for them? Is this a coin that has a one-way market ... I want to sell this to you for a big profit but I would never pay a premium to buy one myself.

Don't waste money on minor varieties that few collectors care about. I seriously doubt if your family members want one of these.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are fairly common and bring little, if any premium. I see these all the time at the ANACS table and advise the owners not to spend money submitting them.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

The asking prices are darkly amusing.

All glory is fleeting.
  • CregCreg Posts: 337 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2024 4:42PM

@291fifth said:

Lanza cites sold prices! (I apologize if you knew that).

Look for fake sales results with the sold filter of the seller’s other items page when a normal coin sells for too much. Some sellers’ current pages match the sold pages.

Added:

edited August 16, 2024 10:37AM

These photos show the conditon of my 69-D no FG cents. Allshoud grade 63ms Red Brown at a min, IMHO. Knowing that and now having see samle photos should I pay to ave them graded or not? Sorry, having a lot of trouble attaching the pics.

edited August 16, 2024 10:42AM
  • Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

@Creg said:

@291fifth said:

Lanza cites sold prices! (I apologize if you knew that).

Look for fake sales results with the sold filter of the seller’s other items page when a normal coin sells for too much. Some sellers’ current pages match the sold pages.

Gotta launder money somehow. ;)

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you're able to find closure.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you have the real deal.

Remember that PCGS charges variety attribution which if I recall correctly is expensive. That will cut into any profit you have, obviously. I think maybe taking good photographs and hoping for the best on eBay is your best bet. Start out with just one, don't try and sell your hoard all at once.
    The variety really isn't that popular to command pie in the sky pricing
    Good luck

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file