Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Please help me with this coin

Hello, can you please help me with this coin. I can't find many of the haunting face variety online. Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards Jason

Comments

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's completely unlike any ancient or mediaeval coin series I'm familiar with.

Any idea of where and when it came into your possession? That might help narrow things down.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • tcollectstcollects Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JaseG said:
    Hello, can you please help me with this coin. I can't find many of the haunting face variety online. Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards Jason

hi, welcome, and thanks for the interesting post. if Sapyx doesn't know what it is, it's a real puzzle - he's quickly identified all kinds of obscure stuff over the years. in addition to his questions, it might help to know how big is it? (can you take a pic next to a dime?) also, do you have a small scale to weigh it? and can you take a pic of the edge? if it's a little smaller than a dime, weighs about 2 grams, and has a plain edge, I have a guess...

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

...it isn't what I initially thought (I thought it might be a small copper coin from 15th century Russia)

it looks like a tiny (11mm, 1g) silver Anglo-Saxon sceat from East Anglia or Mercia minted around 700 AD...
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Search.aspx?IS_ADVANCED=1&ITEM_IS_SOLD=1&ITEM_DESC=Christ+quadruped&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_1=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_2=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_3=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_4=1&TABS_TYPE=3&CONTAINER_NAME=&CONTAINER_TYPE_ID=3&VIEW_TYPE=0&MAX_COUNT=10000&PAGE=1

• JaseGJaseG Posts: 2

Thank you that's it! Mine is 10mmx12mm 2g and has the same ledgened. I bought on ebay as unreseched funny dark coin metal detecting find. Great research thank you 😁
    Photos curtesy of member Sjoelund who kindly edited them.

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

It could well be a copy of the coin mentioned. There are a lot of those on eBay.

• realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2024 11:24AM

@John Conduitt said:
    It could well be a copy of the coin mentioned. There are a lot of those on eBay.

Fakes of THIS particular type?

"unresearched funny dark coin metal detecting find" does sound like suckerbait shysty seller speak... thought plenty of genuine UK detector finds get listed.

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

@realeswatcher said:

@John Conduitt said:

Fakes of THIS particular type?

Yes. The fakes seem to cover all types but facing busts and animals are popular. There are relatively few types of sceatta and this one would be worth a lot. As if you wouldn't already know the value or even research a coin worth £2000 before selling it.