Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anything change on Ebay for saving pics?

alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anything changed on ebay with regards to saving a pic?
When I right mouse clicked on a pic and said "save as" it would send it to my file where I would rename it and it would save it as a jpeg. Now it defaults to webp instead of jpeg.
Is this a problem on my end?

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2024 8:36PM

Same here, been that way (webp instead of jpeg) for at least a couple weeks on ebay.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    Same here, been that way (webp instead of jpeg) for at least a couple weeks on ebay.

I only noticed it a few days ago although I can't remember when the last time I tried to save a pic
    Is there a way to change it back to saving as a jpeg or is it just the way ebay is providing the pics?

Thanks @oih82w8 I thought it was just me.............
    Maybe someone out there will be able to shead some light

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2024 9:38PM

https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-office/work-life/how-to-get-around-chromes-save-as-webp-image-format-issue/

Apparently websites are changing images to webp because it saves space for website hosting. The above link suggests to download an extension that allows you to save as a jpeg. You can also just leave it as a webp (should likely still open on your computer like any other image-test it out with one to see).

• Options
  • Options

Now I just have to figure out how to do it :/

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

You cannot upload webp images here. :'(

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

As a temp fix I found that if you right mouse on the pic and choose copy you can then open paint and paste it and then save as a jpeg
    This will have to do until I get my 6 year old little buddy to show me how to change it....................I'm kidding, I will figure it out :)

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently my cell phone started saving pictures in some weird new format to save space.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2024 11:55PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Recently my cell phone started saving pictures in some weird new format to save space.

I just find it amazing that these companies can just change things around without caring how it affects the people that use them.
    What's the old saying :
    "I'd rather beg for forgiveness then ask for permission"

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@CaptHenway said:

I just find it amazing that these companies can just change things around without caring how it affects the people that use them.
    What's the old saying :

They do consider how it affects users. But they have to have a product that works it you'll switch to a different browser that is more functional. Bigger files means slower loading. So there are positive and negatives.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@CaptHenway said:

What's the old saying :

Called 'progress' I suppose. New software, browsers, etc. come out all the time, and make previous formats obsolete. Can be frustrating. And yes... I've been running across new formats for photos also. Been having to find sites / programs /apps to convert to the jpeg format. I suppose things will catch up eventually and we will get used to it and conversions may no longer be necessary. Or not.

----- kj
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I was thinking the new formats might have been coming out to 'discourage' the copying of the images... but perhaps it really is just for the space saving function.

----- kj
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

HEIC? iPhone? Those are a small pain to deal with in the Windows world. Along with webp. Thankfully, my usual tools - Paint.Net and ImageMagick both handle them. Windows is getting better when it comes to webp.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@CaptHenway said:

HEIC? iPhone? Those are a small pain to deal with in the Windows world. Along with webp. Thankfully, my usual tools - Paint.Net and ImageMagick both handle them. Windows is getting better when it comes to webp.

Yes, that. A real pain in the butt having to convert them to something usable. Is there any way to program an iphone to NOT do that?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I need to save pics off ebay, I usually just screenshot on my phone or printscreen on my pc. Then I can just crop out what I don't want and save them.

• Options

Honestly, I just right-click save-as into my downloads directory and then batch-convert them to another format such as png.

I do get the difference in size, however most images I download are cropped and scaled for the book and that works better with .png.

-----Burton
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@BStrauss3 said:

@CaptHenway said:

Yes, that. A real pain in the butt having to convert them to something usable. Is there any way to program an iphone to NOT do that?

There is.
    In Settings select Camera, scroll down to Format. By default the camera uses High Efficiency.

Instead select Most Compatible.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could always take a screenshot of the picture.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• Options

@Robec Thanks, but when I went there it was already in Most Compatible. Must be time to clean out the memory.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like an aggressive push by Google to replace JPEG and PNG with WebP, which was developed by Google. Not sure how successful that'll be, since there are so many legacy devices that produce and read JPEG natively. I imagine Google phones all produce only WebP images. Technically, it's a better format than JPEG or PNG or GIF, as it provides better lossless compression than PNG, better lossy compression than JPEG, and allows encoding of alpha channels (i.e., transparency) and animation like GIF. That it presents an inconvenience to billions of users of the other formats is not their concern, as they are masters of the universe.

EBay's use of WebP makes sense from a space saving perspective. Any uploaded format can be reduced in storage space without having as big of an impact on image quality. If there are no browsers that have issues rendering eBay pages full of WebP images, then forum software front ends could also convert to WebP as images are uploaded and not have storage issues. I'll have to look into whether phpBB or MediaWiki support this, since every so often I need to expand the space on the VAMWorld server, which increases recurring AWS cost.

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

No. 1000x no. All that does is pixelate the image to bleep.

-----Burton
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a workaround I use on my Android.

I open the saved photo, make atleast a small edit such as cropping, and then I save it.

It saves as a JPEG.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2024 7:11AM

@BStrauss3 said:

@CRHer700 said:

Yeah. So? It gets the job done and takes up less space than PNG.

Edited to add _ whatever someone may write in response will bounce off my dense head like a BB.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't generally a problem for me on the very rare occasions I ever copy something FROM eBay. I just copy it, send it to Paint, hit "save as" and then save in the format desired (usually jpg).

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@CRHer700 said:

It doesn't on my device.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file