Home U.S. Coin Forum

Intercept Shield Box question

Hello Everyone,

So based on everyone's stellar reviews on Intercept Shield Boxes I decided to get a couple for my dimes. The coins fit in there nicely, but they still have a little room on the sides and it feels weird having my coins move around a little, and possibly get chips in the PCGS cases. Quick question, for those that use those Intercept Shield boxes, do you ALSO put your coins in those individual Intercept cases? Or do you put your coins in plastic sleeves?

Thank you,
Jeff

Comments

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do exactly what @littlebear does & it works beautifully!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

They make them with individual slots also.

• fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2024 3:20PM

Maybe the older boxes were different, but I recently bought two of the new boxes with slots and very few of my slabs fit. Only the thinnest PCGS slabs would go in, most of my PCGS and all the NGCs were too thick. I use the double row boxes and just put them in without additional protection, I figure as long as I'm not throwing them around they won't get damaged.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baseballjeff said:
    Hello Everyone,

The coins fit in there nicely, but they still have a little room on the sides and it feels weird having my coins move around a little, and possibly get chips in the PCGS cases.
    Thank you,
    Jeff

Are you flinging your boxes around like footballs? :p I cannot even imagine what you describe happening under any kind of normal circumstance.

Personally I have some of all three types of the IS boxes, I prefer the double protection boxes for my copper coins as well as any higher value coins. The boxes with the twenty individual slots work great for lower value coins.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@littlebear said:
    The best way to go is to get the complete set with 10 individual boxes and the outer box made for them. The outer box also has the IS protection. Have been using them for many, many years. You cannot go wrong with this double protection storage setup.

I wish they made one that held 20 of those.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do remember that IS is only guaranteed for a period of time. You will need to replace them once a decade.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

If you don't replace them before they deteriorate it will affect especially coppers . Turn some of my reds red/brown

Paper inside started to crumble and droop, now became no better than any cheaper cardboard box.

To Keep coppers red you must pay attention. Also use moisure absorbant packets.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2024 4:53PM

@krueger said:
    If you don't replace them before they deteriorate it will affect especially coppers . Turn some of my reds red/brown

Paper inside started to crumble and droop, now became no better than any cheaper cardboard box.

To Keep coppers red you must pay attention. Also use moisure absorbant packets.

Does this apply to the inserts of the 2x2 acrylic holders? From their website, 'This remarkable technology provides 10 years of corrosion protection for each thousandth of an inch thickness, under normally encountered corrosive conditions.
    This 'one thousandth of an inch thickness' is considerably thinner than, say, 1/16th" of the insert or the cardboard-like materal/walls used in the boxes allowing protection to last much longer than 10 years?
    https://www.interceptshield.com/technology.html

Leo

I must add, 1000\16=62.5 X 10....625 YEARS! lol

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally would not risk exceeding 10 years. I’ll just buy new ones!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

Does this apply to the inserts of the 2x2 acrylic holders? From their website, 'This remarkable technology provides 10 years of corrosion protection for each thousandth of an inch thickness, under normally encountered corrosive conditions.
    This 'one thousandth of an inch thickness' is considerably thinner than, say, 1/16th" of the insert or the cardboard-like materal/walls used in the boxes allowing protection to last much longer than 10 years?
    https://www.interceptshield.com/technology.html

Leo

I must add, 1000\16=62.5 X 10....625 YEARS! lol

The manufacturer also recommends periodically replacing Quadrum capsules.

Source: https://www.lighthouse.us/square-coin-capsules-quadrum-intercepta.html

For Quadrum capsules, Leuchtturm uses a copper-enriched foam, not their polymer film. So, the '1.0 mil = 10 years' paradigm does not apply.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original Lucent patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/US4944916A/en talks about trapping sulfur and chlorine compounds:

Corrosion of metals such as silver and copper by sulfur and chlorine containing entities are substantially prevented by surrounding these materials with a suitable polymeric structure. The structure should be a polymer containing a material such as copper or aluminum that reacts readily with corrosive gases. In one advantageous embodiment a polymer bag containing approximately 35 weight percent of dispersed, powdered copper is employed to enclose a metal containing structure such as a printed circuit board. Use of this expedient substantially reduces corrosion of the printed circuit board.

cardboard rot is likely due to moisture, which is why dehumidification is recommended above.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file