Home U.S. Coin Forum

KSBW 8 News - Hundreds of gold coins stolen from Seaside, CA home; Police seek 2 suspects

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 29, 2024 11:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is really sad. The victim is such a kindly senior citizen even after this invasive burglary.

Video clip and more details are in link below.

KSBW 8 News ......

Hundreds of gold coins stolen from Seaside home; Police seek 2 suspects

10:16 AM PDT Jun 28, 2024
Leslie Duarte Reporter

SEASIDE, Calif. —

A Seaside home was burglarized, with hundreds of gold coins worth over $200,000 stolen. Police are now on the hunt for two men potentially involved in the crime.

"I do not have a high hope of ever seeing my coins again," said Fenton Ward, the victim of the burglary.
Advertisement

Police believe the thieves entered through a window.

"My assumption is that they busted in this window, and then there's a lock that holds it up here. They opened it and pushed it back out of the way and then crawled through the window," Ward explained.

Authorities are keen to identify the two men.

alleged thieves in seaside collector coins burglary.SOURCE: Seaside Police Department

KSBW Action News Link

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder how they knew the gold coins were in there? What tipped them off? (just curious... this is in NO WAY an attempt to lessen the theft of these two perps)

----- kj
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is my opinion that coin thefts are definitely becoming more common, at homes, at shops, and associated with shows. Though I know some hold the opinion that it is not so, but just seems to be due to the fast distribution of national news nowadays.

----- kj
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awful

Mr_Spud

• goldengolden Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why was it in the house?

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

My coins go straight to the SDB. I would like to keep them home, but it’s just not worth the risk. The only metal a burglar will get may be some lead if things get too desperate. Hopefully the threat alone will be enough.

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    My coins go straight to the SDB. I would like to keep them home, but it’s just not worth the risk. The only metal a burglar will get may be some lead if things get too desperate. Hopefully the threat alone will be enough.

>
    I probably would be thinking more ‘clad’
    Copper-jacketed, that is!😉

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not a fan of SDB’s due to myriad reasons. But if I was sitting on $200K worth of gold, I would most certainly have had some of that in one.

That being said - I do NOT blame the victim. Yes, he could have maybe made safer choices at multiple levels. In an ideal world a man’s possessions should be safe in his home, but we all know that we do not live in an ideal world and it’s only getting worse. Stay strapped, stay accurate, be prepared to handle business if absolutely necessary.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NewEnglandNotes said:
    This has to be some sort of record. Posted a day ago and no debate over robbery vs burglary vs theft!

Combination of all three.
    😊

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NewEnglandNotes said:
    This has to be some sort of record. Posted a day ago and no debate over robbery vs burglary vs theft!

Also, no kneejerk comments about how California is a lawless hellscape where criminals roam free unpunished.

Curious if this post being on the front page concurrently has anything to do with that https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1104958/arrest-made-in-2015-double-homicide-at-the-coin-shop

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only the coins were stolen, I would think the perps had some sort of info about them. Most people don't display 200k worth of gold coins sitting out on a coffee table. Most of these invasive burglaries are criminals breaking in and just looking for anything small enough to carry in plain sight. If I had that much in gold coins, they definitely would not be an easy find.

@bsshog40 said:
    If only the coins were stolen, I would think the perps had some sort of info about them. Most people don't display 200k worth of gold coins sitting out on a coffee table. Most of these invasive burglaries are criminals breaking in and just looking for anything small enough to carry in plain sight. If I had that much in gold coins, they definitely would not be an easy find.

ummm

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2024 9:31PM

Don’t know how this robbery played out but I assume that if the crooks where able to run off with that much gold, it was not secured or hidden. With $200 k in gold, it would be a good idea to keep it in a heavy safe.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might one call the thieves "Gold Bullies"?

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

@markelman1125 said:
    Don’t know how this robbery played out but I assume that if the crooks where able to run off with that much gold, it was not secured or hidden. With $200 k in gold, it would be a good idea to keep it in a heavy safe.

@lermish said:

@bsshog40 said:

ummm

Curious what percentage of people read the very short article with all of the details. Or screenshots of the article posted here

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2024 11:45PM

Just to everything in perspective, 100 gold coins would fit in a medium flat rate box! Not very big

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2024 7:08AM

@lermish said:

@markelman1125 said:

@lermish said:

@bsshog40 said:

ummm

Curious what percentage of people read the very short article with all of the details. Or screenshots of the article posted here

I did not see that small print! Lol I will add though, if I had that much gold in a safe, it would not be a pickup and carry safe.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW... my safe weighs around 425 lbs, is bolted to the floor, and is UL rated for burglary but that only means its going to take about 45 minutes with an angle grinder and a heck of a lot of noise to break into it. SDBs at the bank may offer additional protection but there are additional costs, you dont have ready access to your coins (but neither do burglars) , and there are instances of SDBs being broken into as well...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2024 8:01AM

And don't forget....if the owner of a SDB passes away it is sealed until in can be opened and inventoried in an official process.

I'm not blaming the victim in this particular case but to use it as a cautionary tale might help others avoid a similar experience: heavier safe(s), spread out the gold inside the house, use decoys, etc.

@JBK said:
    And don't forget....if the owner of a SDB passes away it is sealed until in can be opened and inventoried in an official process.

Speak with your legal advisor rather than taking my word for it...but this won't happen if your SDB is titled in a trust (as all real property should be if your estate is probate eligible).

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my case I have multiple people that have assess to my SDB if I am not capable..........
    And it's in my Living Trust

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file