Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

John Adams plated 1 dollar 2007 coin

Eri68Eri68 Posts: 8
edited June 28, 2024 4:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello, I would like to know more about a 2007 John Adams $1 dollar coin that I have, the strange thing (or maybe not so much) is that it is plated. If anyone has any information they can provide me I would greatly appreciate it

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plated.

• Options

Plated not silver

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

There are many coins that are plated by aftermarket companies to sell as a premium as souvenir coins. This does not increase the value as it is considered damage and is only worth face.

• Options

I had not thought about that possibility, I will have to see a way to find out if it was plated or not.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eri68 said:
    I will have to see a way to find out if it was plated or not.

Why?

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

Why?

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

Why?

to see if it has any value

• Options

@Eri68 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

Why?

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

Why?

It's only worth a dollar. You'd be wasting your time doing anything other than spending it.

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

Why?

>

It's only worth a dollar. You'd be wasting your time doing anything other than spending it

I'm a beginner at collecting coins and this is just a hobby so I see it as part of the fun.

• Options

@Eri68 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

Why?

>

It's only worth a dollar. You'd be wasting your time doing anything other than spending it

I'm a beginner at collecting coins and this is just a hobby so I see it as part of the fun.

Send it in to PCGS, they'll do all the work and tell you exactly what you have.

• Options
    Eri68Eri68 Posts: 8
    edited June 28, 2024 4:38PM

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

Why?

>

I think that is the best option, I have another coin that I have wanted to take to grade it for a long time and I will probably take advantage of the opportunity. I hope they don't charge me too much to find out that someone plated it.

• Options

@Eri68 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

Why?

>

I think that is the best option, I have another coin that I have wanted to take to graduation for a long time and I will probably take advantage of the opportunity. I hope they don't charge me too much to find out that someone plated it.

You found out someone plated it - for free.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2024 5:49PM

In order for it to be a legitimate off metal error there would need to be another coin with a silver (or platinum) planchet of those dimensions that was struck at the mint at around the same time.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2024 5:49PM

@Eri68 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

Why?

>

I think that is the best option, I have another coin that I have wanted to take to grade it for a long time and I will probably take advantage of the opportunity. I hope they don't charge me too much to find out that someone plated it.

Assuming you're already a member of PCGS or know someone who can submit on your behalf, you'll be paying grading fees and the error tier, plus shipping both ways.

You owe all of that regardless of what they decide. ;)

You can chalk it up to tuition.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eri68 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Eri68 said:

Why?

>

It'll cost you maybe $70 to find out that it is plated. I have dumped dozens, possibly hundreds of plated dollars into Coin Star machines. I've seen them played in platinum, Silver, and gold.

You may waste the money on a submission if you wish, but there is nearly a zero percent chance that it is anything else if the weight is correct. So get a weight on it. And if it is correct (within tolerance) then it is plated. An off metal planchet would not have the correct weight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file