Home U.S. Coin Forum

First Submission sent in 2 years! FINALLY! TrueViews are IN!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 5, 2024 11:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Finally, pulled the trigger. My first sub in 2 yrs. Long awaited anticipation of 6 coins sent out. 1, for a friend.
1. 1939 ddr Jefferson
2. A recent CRHunt find- 1984 Cent "Doubled Ear"
3. 1976d Quarter ddo, The Big One!
4. 1934 Quarter ddo
5. 1913p type 2 Buffalo, Planchet Error
6. 1953D NGC ms 64 "Bugs Bunny"
Crossover.
The last coin, the Bugs Bunny. I'm having it crossed because in the exact same variety, same grade,
as the NGC. PCGS has it valued at $300 more! Instead of $200. PCGS has it at $500. I paid, $190.
The 1976D ddo, has "The Ring of Death".
Still grading for bragging rights by tracking it down while CRHunting!
The '34 Quarter is a beautiful variety w/obvious Motto doubling. Could be a high value?
The 1913 Buffalo, has a die Gouge appearance on the obverse. Very distinct details. Full Horn.
The '84 Doubled Ear Cent, has a very RD BU appearance. 2 vague scratches. Hoping our host let's it go by?
Than finally, my friends 1939 DDR Jefferson.
Very prominent doubled letters, esp in "Monticello".
High grade?
See ya in approximately,
2 months.
Thanks

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Standard Service or Gold Shield?

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep us updated, Joey so you can be appropriately honored when PCGS endorses your finds! A future "you suck" champion.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I see a "genuine" in that quarter's future. The counting machine scratch is highly visible.

Yes. That’s brutal!

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2024 6:23PM

Never seen or “herd” of the straw-sucking buffalo type. Cool !

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2024 11:38PM

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@291fifth said:
    I see a "genuine" in that quarter's future. The counting machine scratch is highly visible.

Yes. That’s brutal!

Yes, I did mention, "The Ring of Death!"
    Still an awesome coin and find, while CRHunting.
    Grading just for my trophy case.🏆
    😆

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    edited June 26, 2024 11:42PM

@ChrisH821 said:
    We need to talk about that buff. That is a significant die scratch and I have not seen that before, now I have to go looking for them..

😆

Not,
    a die clash! I checked the overlay.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

good luck - economy?

edited June 27, 2024 8:11AM

@davewesen said:
    good luck - economy?

Thanks. ;)
    No. Regular.
    You're right. I should of used, "Economy".
    Cheaper! I don't know what I ws thinking?
    Remember, 2 years, plus, old!
    :D

• JWPJWP Posts: 20,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like using CACG. I have a membership which I do not have to pay a fee for. their grading fees seem to between PCGS and NGC. i have sent 4 submissions to them and their customer service is great.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2024 4:56PM

Have you gotten these back yet Joey? Grades at least?

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, the old drooling buffalo. A very interesting coin.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@CRHer700 said:
    Have you gotten these back yet Joey? Grades at least?

Not yet, thanks.
    I know, it's been a long minute!
    I hope no mix-ups or troubles?
    I'll post as soon as I get word.
    ;)

Finally! The grades!
    To be continued...

edited September 1, 2024 12:33AM

Good and Bad.
    The bad first...
    My Washington Quarter
    1934ddo
    "MEDIUM MOTTO" FS-402
    ms 64
    I thought I'd get the actual ddo, but no!
    The 1913 Buffalo
    "Cleaned"
    Still haven't heard about my Franklin crossover.
    The 1984 ddo Cent
    FS-101 ms 64RD
    NOT the better variety!
    Now, the Good!
    The best part of my whole submission...
    The 1984 ddo Cent!
    This coin falls into both the good and the bad.
    Even though not happy with the variety. Very happy, I did NOT receive a "details" w/ those two slight scratches on the obverse.

The 1976d ddo
    This key variety. Very happy just to certify it, despite "The Ring of Death".
    My friend's 1939 ddr
    Jefferson.
    Congrats to him. Great grade. MS 63
    Now, waiting for my Franklin crossover...
    Thanks

I do not know what these coins cost you, but the first one seems like a winner to me. +++

@davewesen said:
    I do not know what these coins cost you, but the first one seems like a winner to me. +++

Thanks
    If you're referring to my friend's 1939 ddr.
    Yes, you are correct!
    His is a real Winner!
    My 4, not so much.
    :/

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1984 cent sure looks like the good one to me.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are you unhappy with the attributing for the quarter and the cent? The descriptions look correct to me?

@CRHer700 said:
    That 1984 cent sure looks like the good one to me.

Thanks,
    The better one is where the doubling is also on Abe's throat.
    Mine I believe, doesn't have that.
    More of a premium.
    Mine is the FS-101. The other is the FS-102.
    Thanks. 😉

@jonathanb said:
    Why are you unhappy with the attributing for the quarter and the cent? The descriptions look correct to me?

I was expecting both to be the more valued ones.
    It's still all good.
    Thanks.
    😉

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    6. 1953D NGC ms 64 "Bugs Bunny"
    Crossover.
    The last coin, the Bugs Bunny. I'm having it crossed because in the exact same variety, same grade,
    as the NGC. PCGS has it valued at $300 more! Instead of $200. PCGS has it at $500. I paid, $190.

The PCGS price guide can say whatever it wants, but that doesn't mean the coin will sell for that. The only recent sale on eBay was a PCGS MS65, which has some toning and sold for $375. Add the grading cost to what you originally paid, and it seems unlikely you're going to do much better than come out even at best: https://www.ebay.com/itm/116285014161

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@jonathanb said:

Yours has a strongly doubled ear. FS-102 does not. Why were you expecting that your example with a doubled ear would be attributed as a variety without a doubled ear?

You don't show pictures for the 1934 25c but I'd say the same thing in general. The doubling is drastic and unmistakable on the more valued doubled die. If yours has that doubling, then PCGS got it wrong. That happens sometimes. Otherwise, you should not have expected that a coin without drastic doubling would get attributed as a variety with drastic doubling. Can you post pictures of yours and a slabbed example? If yours doesn't match -e-x-a-c-t-l-y- then you don't have the same variety.

@jonathanb said:

@joeykoins said:

@jonathanb said:

Yours has a strongly doubled ear. FS-102 does not. Why were you expecting that your example with a doubled ear would be attributed as a variety without a doubled ear?

You don't show pictures for the 1934 25c but I'd say the same thing in general. The doubling is drastic and unmistakable on the more valued doubled die. If yours has that doubling, then PCGS got it wrong. That happens sometimes. Otherwise, you should not have expected that a coin without drastic doubling would get attributed as a variety with drastic doubling. Can you post pictures of yours and a slabbed example? If yours doesn't match -e-x-a-c-t-l-y- then you don't have the same variety.

😆
    Yeah, you're right!
    The other more valued one doesn't have the Doubled Ear.
    I don't know what I was thinking?
    Maybe, thinking mine was more highly graded?
    The Quarter.
    I'll post a pic later.
    Thanks 😊

@jonathanb said:

@joeykoins said:

@jonathanb said:

Here is my Quarter.
    One thing is pretty cool!
    The low Pop!

edited September 3, 2024 7:39PM

My Beautiful Buffalo Oddity!

Rotated?

NO TrueView's yet.
    :)

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not confirm your varieties here before you send them in? You've found a lot of varieties in your own right, but you tend to get tripped up when trying to distinguish between different varieties of the same date.

Cool buffalo!

I keep looking at your 1913 buffalo. You figured it was a planchet error. It sure looks like a raised line which would be a die gouge and found on many of the same date. Did you find a 'new variety'?

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the Buffalo has a slightly rotated reverse? Am I seeing things?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@davewesen said:
    I keep looking at your 1913 buffalo. You figured it was a planchet error. It sure looks like a raised line which would be a die gouge and found on many of the same date. Did you find a 'new variety'?

Yes, it's definitely raised.
    Could be some sort of new variety?
    I hope.
    Thanks.

@tommy44 said:
    Looks like the Buffalo has a slightly rotated reverse? Am I seeing things?

Yep, rotated indeed!
    Thanks

@IkesT said:
    Why not confirm your varieties here before you send them in? You've found a lot of varieties in your own right, but you tend to get tripped up when trying to distinguish between different varieties of the same date.

Cool buffalo!

At the time of submission.
    I'm thinking I have what I think I have?
    Maybe, it's because my mind WANTS to believe what I'm thinking is what I actually have?
    😆
    Thanks

edited September 5, 2024 11:26PM

TrueViews Baby!

Then,my friend's
    1939 ddr Jefferson

@jonathanb said:

Here is my TrueView!

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2024 4:35PM

The lighting on the left side seems a bit brighter than on the right. I had a similar problem that made my coin appear overexposed. It's this accurate to how the coin looks in hand? Nice looking piece...

Edited to add: now that I'm looking harder at the reverse... I don't see it. Odd... maybe it's just me?!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file