Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CoinFacts error - wrong capped bust half dime variety pictured

BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

I saw an exchange from @MapsOnFire who has reported CoinFacts issues in the past and @HeatherBoyd where Heather advised that CoinFacts errors can be reported to @PCGS_Moderator. So, I'm gonna try that, since past outreach didn't land.

Regarding the CoinFacts page for 1836 LM-1.1.

The main coin, an AU58, is not an LM-1.1. It's an LM-3 (aka "3 over inverted 3"). Differences:

LM-1.1 is Obverse 1 (Stars 8 and 9 close) with reverse DD (I in America low).
1. It's got a very characteristic die break over the scroll at E PLUR, with a big lump over the L
2. It's also a Rarity 5 remarriage - which makes it scarce and augments its value
3. On CoinFacts, the AU55 and the XF45 coins presented are both truly LM-1.1

LM-3 (aka "3 over inverted 3" variety) is Obverse 2 (Stars 4 and 5 closer) with reverse GG (U boldly repunched)
1. Although it's a redbook variety (which drives demand), it's only a Rarity 1 marriage - very common
2. Images below show the differences

May I ask that PCGS take these actions:
1. Remove the AU58 coin from the 1836 LM-1.1 CoinFacts page
2. Notify the owner (if known, e.g., via the Registry program) of the error--they think they have an awesome LM-1.1
3. As requested by the owner, perform a Mech Error update to correctly attribute the coin - or honor a buy-back promise, should one exist, as the owner may believe they have a tuff R5 coin when they have a common, albeit nice, R1

Thank you!
PS. If the owner of the 58 is reading this for the first time - sorry dude

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Comments

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind doing reporting incorrect varieties. It's important that it is done right; as a variety collector I strongly want the varieties to be correct.

But, there can be unintended consequences.

The following recently happened to me with one of my coins. It was misattributed (not my main series, I didn't know) and an unrelated third party reported the misattribution. PCGS cancelled the certificate and didn't notify me. It was up to me to discover that my coin was now essentially raw despite being in a PCGS holder. I also didn't get a refund of the $90 grading fees. It took me months to get ahold of someone. It is finally now being made right (although not fully completed so I'm assuming that promises will be kept).

It has been extremely unpleasant and has taken hours of my time and months of irritation.

• Options

Thanks @Bikergeek , this has been escalated on our end.
    We will keep you posted on the status.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another that is crazy.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/27942452

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1795-1-flowing-hair-bb-22/39987

It is attributed as the BB-22 (Miller provenance) and is on the coinfacts page for that variety (look at the VF35 one in the images there). Easily stands out by the two berries below the second A of AMERICA. It is not only really a BB-12, but is THE PLATE COIN in Bowers' Early Dollars book for the variety. They are both quite rare. I think the BB-12 is rarer, but the market is around the same place.

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    I don't mind doing reporting incorrect varieties. It's important that it is done right; as a variety collector I strongly want the varieties to be correct.

But, there can be unintended consequences.

The following recently happened to me with one of my coins. It was misattributed (not my main series, I didn't know) and an unrelated third party reported the misattribution. PCGS cancelled the certificate and didn't notify me. It was up to me to discover that my coin was now essentially raw despite being in a PCGS holder. I also didn't get a refund of the $90 grading fees. It took me months to get ahold of someone. It is finally now being made right (although not fully completed so I'm assuming that promises will be kept).

It has been extremely unpleasant and has taken hours of my time and months of irritation.

I can see how it's difficult for all concerned. Hope you get it all sorted out, @lermish! Despite the troubles, I do strongly believe that all of us variety-interested folk (PCGS, dealers, collectors) want the systems of record to be accurate.

But I know it's hard to track down an owner of a coin, and when the rug is pulled out from under someone, all I could think of to say was, "sorry dude!" :-)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I've seen the same with some pattern pieces, where the incorrect Judd number has been assigned.

Accidents happen, but one has to wonder if these are truly "mechanical errors" or a misidentification by the grading company. Either way, it's always best to make sure yourself that varieties are correct because what the label says isn't always right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file