Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guessing sequence, someone knows that there is a Rickey in the pack, or some other high value card.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭

Not that there is anything wrong with Expos fans.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭

There's no way to sequence that pack so I'd say the Expos guess is probably correct.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭✭

Remember though, it would take TWO Expos fans to get it that high.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    GoTigersGoTigers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

Well, not that I would pay that but it is a 9, it is pretty rare and it does have two stars on the front (Gary Carter and Andre Dawson). Maybe a big fan of one/both of those guys and a unique item to add to the collection?

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

It's a Pop 1 Expos team Card and with the cost of a cello boxes, you get the pack when you can especially in a PSA 9.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's so special about $500.00 US dollars?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2024 7:16PM

I know who bought it and can tell you the reason...a buyer who really wanted/needed this pack for his 1980 HOFer on top run and (likely) a shill bidder.

The same underbidder drove up the price on the PSA 10 Gwynn cello that ended that same night and won the PSA 9 (likely) 4th series wax pack for a crazy price.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

When one looks at the 2 top bidders and their bidding history , one could possible conclude that this pack might be back up for sale soon . The 2nd bidder most likely was the consignor .

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

It's possible, a couple of Tim Raines collectors were interested in it. The 1980 Expos' team card is one of the rare cases where a HOFer is on a Topps card BEFORE his rookie card. In this case, he's #32 and is pictured in the back row a few players from the end.

For whatever reason, this card hasn't been added to Tim Raines' Master and Topps Master sets yet.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/topps-vintage-baseball-team-cards-roster-revealed/
    (You need to go down to bullet point #2 to read about the Raines cameo appearance).

• Options
    edited June 27, 2024 8:13PM

@calaban7 said:
    When one looks at the 2 top bidders and their bidding history , one could possible conclude that this pack might be back up for sale soon . The 2nd bidder most likely was the consignor .

No chance. It will be locked away now for the foreseeable future. I agree about the underbidder, though.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@rbsalezman said:
    It's possible, a couple of Tim Raines collectors were interested in it. The 1980 Expos' team card is one of the rare cases where a HOFer is on a Topps card BEFORE his rookie card. In this case, he's #32 and is pictured in the back row a few players from the end.

For whatever reason, this card hasn't been added to Tim Raines' Master and Topps Master sets yet.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/topps-vintage-baseball-team-cards-roster-revealed/
    (You need to go down to bullet point #2 to read about the Raines cameo appearance).

I posted the reason above.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2024 11:24AM

@rbsalezman said:

According to Registry Master Player Set criteria:
    "If a player is pictured on a team set card, and mentioned on the back, it will be allowed."

Since Raines isn't mentioned on the back, it probably won't be added to the registry.

Although, there currently are examples of team cards with no mention of the player in some player Master Sets, but I think they were included when the registry was built and grandfathered in. I suppose the rules have changed over the years.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@rbsalezman said:

I posted the reason above.

I didn't think our friend doing the 1980 project is worried about the registry, right?