Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat Buffalo Nickel ERROR... or Post Mint Damage?

tincuptincup Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going through a few odds and ends of some accumulated/set back coins, and ran across this. I think it is probably a true error, but if so not a very clear idea of what type ... tapered planchet, die break, large CUD with some broken off, broken / damaged dies, etc.?? Can see the rim slightly raised as would be expected for a properly prepared planchet prior to striking. Sorry, did not get a good shot of the edge; but does appear to be quite more narrow than the rest of the coin. Or... just post mint damage? Your ideas? thanks for any input.

----- kj

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think struck on a defective planchet.

• Options

Thanks Dan. That seems to make sense.... perhaps some areas flaked off , and coin saw some circulation after that. I have not yet weighed the coin. Though the larger blob that remains on the obverse is kind of puzzling.

----- kj
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has many of the characteristics of a small straight clip or ragged clip. On the other hand, the coin is low grade and clearly has other damage unrelated to the potential error. A picture of the edge might show something, or it might not.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Older dies maybe?

• Options

@jonathanb said:
    It has many of the characteristics of a small straight clip or ragged clip. On the other hand, the coin is low grade and clearly has other damage unrelated to the potential error. A picture of the edge might show something, or it might not.

When I get a chance, I will try to get a photo of the edge. I can that when viewed on that edge, the only thing that really stands out is that it is noticeably narrower, but seems smooth without damage.

I did note some characteristics of a clip also; and the rim side opposite to the left does seem to have a bit of narrowing also. But seem like multiple things may be present.... a clip, uneven planchet, defective planchet with some portions dislodging?

----- kj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file