Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Found and won a Julius Caesar lifetime denarius, at last!

Well, at long last, after coming up short time and time again at auction, I finally won my desired Julius Caesar denarius, for €300 below my max bid.

It checks off all my major criteria.

Lifetime issue from 44 BC? ✅

Caesar's name clear on the flan? ✅ (his titles are there too)

Decent portrait? ✅

No major problems apparent? ✅

Fine or better? ✅

OK, so it's got a somewhat irregular flan- some might even say "ragged"- but I can definitely live with that. Oh, and there’s a banker’s mark, too. But that’s not an issue, as far as I’m concerned.

Now I lack only Vitellius to complete my Twelve Caesars collection. 😃

I won it in Elsen Auction 159, Lot 278.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you certain it is from his lifetime. I seem to recall that the veiled head varieties were struck after his death as memorial items.

Many years back, when I had a complete set of the 12 my Julius Caesar example had the veiled head. (I wish I still had the set!)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratulation ! :)

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2024 11:12AM

@291fifth said:
    Are you certain it is from his lifetime. I seem to recall that the veiled head varieties were struck after his death as memorial items.

Many years back, when I had a complete set of the 12 my Julius Caesar example had the veiled head. (I wish I still had the set!)

I believe this is him as pontifex maximus, not posthumous. (Constantine I's veiled coins are indeed posthumous).

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

Yes, this issue is from 44 BC, just before his assassination.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Congratulations!

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the one I had was also from that period? I'll never know since I have no photo of the coin. :(

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you"ve got it all there. It has a a full bust, and Caesar"s, as well as Macer"s name are both legible.
    Yes, the planchet is a bit rugged, but from what I have read, striking issues in that hectic month before Caesar"s death are to be expected.
    Actually, your coin looks quite appealing, in my opinion.
    It wasn"t cheap, though...I hope you don"t have to pay import taxes (like we do in EU).

(My own example was bought about 15 years ago (Muenzen Peus). I paid Eur 295 + comission.
    My coin was unevently struck, and look at the planchet.... But, as far as I am concerned that just adds to the historic appeal).

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2024 1:43AM

@Eddi said:
    I think you"ve got it all there. It has a a full bust, and Caesar"s, as well as Macer"s name are both legible.
    Yes, the planchet is a bit rugged, but from what I have read, striking issues in that hectic month before Caesar"s death are to be expected.
    Actually, your coin looks quite appealing, in my opinion.
    It wasn"t cheap, though...I hope you don"t have to pay import taxes (like we do in EU).

(My own example was bought about 15 years ago (Muenzen Peus). I paid Eur 295 + comission.
    My coin was unevently struck, and look at the planchet.... But, as far as I am concerned that just adds to the historic appeal).

You definitely bought yours at the right time. €295 would be impossible for a lifetime Caesar now, I’m sure! Especially for one so relatively attractive as yours.

Prices have gone way up.

The last time I owned one, a decade ago, I came in just under $500 USD. It was a VG with multiple banker’s marks, and while it had most of Caesar’s name on the flan, it lacked the eye appeal of my new purchase.

My old (2014) example, from my first 12 Caesars collection:

€1,400 for the latest one is a lot of money, but I daresay I got it for a lot less in the Belgian Jean Elsen auction than I likely would have on American venues like CNG, Heritage, Stacks Bowers, et al. Prices of recent pieces I bid on seemed crazy high. I was consistently outbid- and by very wide margins indeed. Sometimes even 2-3x!

PS- I kind of like the quirky flan on yours. And though it’s flatly struck, that’s a nice portrait. And the name is very bold and clear! Yours is obviously higher grade than my new one.

• Options
    Coinlover101Coinlover101 Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

Congrats lordm!! :)

Peace

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Rob.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lifetime Julius Caesar portrait, that’s pretty awesome 😎.