Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

After messaging with OAKSTAR today, it occured to me that...

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a lot of coins, both raw and slabbed, that might help out a YN. Is there a network/club that does work soley for beginners? If so, let me know their contact information and I might like to donate some of these items. No dreck, all nice coins and obviously a large variety. Just wanted to see if such an organization existed. Thanks for any suggestions.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

A commendable gesture.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I have sent a message to the ANA, not sure how long to hear back from them. If anyone else has any info in this
    regard I would like to hear it.
    YN'S are the hobby's future and sometime the smallest bump up could help foster desire, then we need to be there to see it through. Just an opinion.
    Jim

How nice are the coins? Maybe I should get back on the YN dollar grind.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are in the Illinois area, reach out to John Kent, he takes a table at many Chicagoland shows to distribute educational materials to YNs. I don't think he's here, but if you want his email address, PM me.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

How bout the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America? Could help them
    toward their respective badges.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any upgrades that I don't sell I package them up and give them to other collectors. My hair stylists has a small collection, I packaged up a few coins including 2 graded coins and about $50 in silver coins and gave it to her. She loved it.

My daughters boyfriend has several hundred $ in coins that I passed on.

When friends of my kids come over many times I'll pull out a CU Bill or MS Coin and give it to them.

Some are very excited, others reply back that their father/grandfather collect coins.

Its a nice gesture to pass on. I may have given over $1000 in coins to various people.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:

I don't think it's called Boy Scouts of America anymore...... Don't ask!....

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Tibor said:

I don't think it's called Boy Scouts of America anymore...... Don't ask!....

I have to ask because I don't follow...what do you mean?

https://www.scouting.org/

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭

Consider donating to either the YN auction at Summer ANA or Witter Coin University run by @SethChandler and associated crew. Both very worthy YN programs that would undoubtedly be a bullseye fit for what you're hoping to accomplish.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too late for this year's YN auction. ANA told me I had to wait until Jan 25 to make the donation for the 25 YN auction. There will be a way.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

Don't use Wikipedia as a primary source.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@lermish said:

Don't use Wikipedia as a primary source.

You got it. Should I...I dunno, link to the scouting.org website for a primary source? You know, like this:

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy Scouts of America will officially become Scouting America on February 8, 2025. The date coincides with their 115th anniversary.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were you, I'd take them to a coin show and pass them out to the young kids with their parents myself and meet a lot of good people in the process. It'll also give you a chance on restocking your loss at the tables ;)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file