PSA 5 Griffey Jr 1989 Upper Deck

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere on the card there is probably a tiny wrinkle or crease

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards.

That's a nice looking card, I agree there must be something knocking it down to a 5.

Crack it out, look at it carefully in sunlight for any minute creases, if you can't find anything wrong, you could send it in again or to somebody else.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

no wrinkles or creases, I just don't get it

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

I see some scratches on the surface possibly near the hat/hair, vertically. With image enhancement using a laplacian kernel I can see the scratches extend up to the top edge and down to the neck.

I looked at the secure scan images, so it's not likely on the plastic already - but it could be.

Btw - your case in the bottom right seems to have some cracks on it.

• Options

I just received this back tuesday

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets see the back of the card.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    MaborshiMaborshi Posts: 5
    edited June 20, 2024 10:26AM

Back of card

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Break it out no point to keep it in a PSA 5 holder and send it back in for grading. Makes no sens based on images.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    I see some scratches on the surface possibly near the hat/hair, vertically. With image enhancement using a laplacian kernel I can see the scratches extend up to the top edge and down to the neck.

I looked at the secure scan images, so it's not likely on the plastic already - but it could be.

Btw - your case in the bottom right seems to have some cracks on it.

I'll second this. Otherwise...dunno. No lines, even super faint, on the back that can be seen in hand but maybe not in a scan?

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Welcome to the boards.

That's a nice looking card, I agree there must be something knocking it down to a 5.

Crack it out, look at it carefully in sunlight for any minute creases, if you can't find anything wrong, you could send it in again or to somebody else.

This is def good advice. Crack and look at it closer, or get a second opinion in person, etc. you will probably notice it has a small blemish or crease. If it doesn't send it in again, it has nice centering.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya?..........welcome :) BTW I had a nice one many years ago. Or so I thought. PSA 6. I didn't know Chaz was a PSA Grader.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 7:17PM

The bottom tip of the hologram looks strange, is there some missing? The holo is the usual culprit

• Options

@PatriotTrading said:
    The bottom tip of the hologram looks strange, is there some missing? The holo is the usual culprit

I get that a centered holo is ideal but there has to be more to get a PSA 5.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

My most recent suggestion to PSA was to give customers an opportunity to redirect cards from Grading to Review (in addition to You vs. Vault). For a review fee of course.

I think they're leaving $$$ on the table. I doubt it would change a lot from the collector's perspective, but it seems like they would get to double-up when this occurs.

• Options

no nothing wrong with hologram. besides a 5?????? i sent in 20 more in after this one, and i must really be missing something. for the most i got mostly 8's, but i also got 2 4's which will be here tuesday. i'll see then. thanks for the replies.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Not really possible to grade cards based photographs.

It's really tough looking at them through the plastic case too.

• Options
    gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

@Maborshi said:
    no nothing wrong with hologram. besides a 5?????? i sent in 20 more in after this one, and i must really be missing something. for the most i got mostly 8's, but i also got 2 4's which will be here tuesday. i'll see then. thanks for the replies.

Your card has surface issues. That's why you got a 5.

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

• Options

I hate the modern state of the hobby! To call that card a 5 is gross!

• Options

If those scratches are on the card and not the case the PSA 5 does seem legitimate. Centering is nice. I would get it autographed and plop a big "630 HRs" inscription right in that area.

• Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

@gorilla glue 4 said:

@Maborshi said:

Your card has surface issues. That's why you got a 5.

scary!!!

• Options

5 years ago it would have been a PSA 7. Modern grading has clearly jumped the shark!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely looks the same grade as the Mick LOL