Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 Topps Eckersley - Does this look like a PSA 10?

Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

This is an extremely rare card in high grade. Up until the last couple of days there was zero PSA 10's. This card is currently for sale on EBAY. I see a couple of problems with the card that should knock it down to a PSA 8. In fact I have a PSA 8 that looks much better. I would like to know what you guys think.

It should be noted that this card was just graded which goes against the claims that PSA has been really tough on recent vintage submissions.

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 3:19PM

Many recently graded 9s and 10s have been posted that have substantial corner wear. The only thing I can imagine is that there are a few new graders who don’t understand what an undamaged corner looks like. And you’re absolutely right, this should be an 8.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2024 3:22PM

This is a $40 card if graded an 8. It's going to sell for thousands now. I have 43 PSA 9's from this year (1979) and everyone one of them is better than this card. You would think the first 10 for a vintage card would be perfect but what do I know.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 3:42PM

Yeah, between the slight (at least) touching on corners to the marks in the white, no way it's better than a PSA 9.... The back looks perfect though...

Same gut a Molitor PSA 10 too, but looks more legit.... https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553162 Lots of nearby PSA 9's. Maybe ripped a Vending Box...

Also a 78 Yastrzemski PSA 10 https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553156
    suspect Fergie PSA 10 https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553153
    Winfield PSA 10 https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553145
    Bench PSA 10 https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553138
    Reds Team Card https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553126

Guy got a "Lucky" grader!!

Larger image....

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bottom right corner and a ton of print in the upper right area would keep this far away from a PSA 10 IMO.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not. Without seeing the back (no way it's perfectly centered) the tilt and 2 bottom corners means it should be no better than an 8.

I hope to everything in this world this grader is the one assigned the vintage subs (60 total) I currently have in Grading...

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told that new slabs are always undergraded.

For real PSA has never been this inconsistent. No reason to get better unless until Fanatics puts huge dollars behind a grading company.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Absolutely not. Without seeing the back (no way it's perfectly centered) the tilt and 2 bottom corners means it should be no better than an 8.

The back looks pretty spot on.....

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@BBBrkrr said:

The back looks pretty spot on.....

For a 79 that's about as perfect as it gets. Very nice.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2024 6:23PM

Both bottom corners have noticeable white missing and the top right shows wear too. You could argue it should be a 7 with that much corner wear.

• Options

One of the reasons I don’t collect this set is that the team banner is never parallel to the bottom of the card and it inflames my OCD 😁

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 7:21PM

Yep…I noted that it is crooked. I stop my collection at 1978…92% of my PC is 1950s + 1960s.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd expect a PSA 7 on this one if I were submitting it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

That one doesn’t make a lot of sense. I could try to argue away 3 of the corners but 1 seems to have a pretty big chip. And what’s all that crap on the top edge? From the PSA scans it sure looks like that’s on the card. Then, to consider that this is the 1st 10. I could see that slab with a 7 grade. Crack it and go for an 11 - anything is possible it seems.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankees70 said:
    This is a $40 card if graded an 8. It's going to sell for thousands now. I have 43 PSA 9's from this year (1979) and everyone one of them is better than this card. You would think the first 10 for a vintage card would be perfect but what do I know.

For collectors, the old saying "buy the card, not the holder" is the best rule to follow.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 11:50PM

I'm not impressed. There are black spots on his face, the corners, the top border PD. That's a miss by PSA.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    Yeah, between the slight (at least) touching on corners to the marks in the white, no way it's better than a PSA 9.... The back looks perfect though...

Same gut a Molitor PSA 10 too, but looks more legit.... https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553162 Lots of nearby PSA 9's. Maybe ripped a Vending Box...

Also a 78 Yastrzemski PSA 10 https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553156
    suspect Fergie PSA 10 https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553153
    Winfield PSA 10 https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553145
    Bench PSA 10 https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553138
    Reds Team Card https://www.psacard.com/cert/88553126

Guy got a "Lucky" grader!!

Larger image....

The others look pretty good without zooming in. I expect some leniency on print defects and centering of course. The Eck they got wrong

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 6:51AM

I've seen 6's and 7's in superior condition to that "10". Whomever buys it has more $'s than sense

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "consignment" connotation is there to try to throw you off. They list a bunch of 70's PSA 10's all the time. And a lot of them look just like this. For any of us, it's a 6. This is the same issue that has been brought up many times. Same ole song and dance.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2024 4:24PM

Great comments guys - thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does not think this card is close to being a PSA 10. I understand that some buyers/collectors mostly care about the PSA grade over how the card presents, but come on how can any person that is familiar with grading think this card is a PSA 10? This is not a difference of opinion where 50% of collectors agree with the 10 grade and 50% don't. IMO this card is nowhere near a 9 which gets me back to how can so many collectors be willing to pay thousands of dollars for it?

One last question. Does anyone know the current market value for a PSA 9? I have not seen a completed sale since I got back into the hobby (15 months ago). I have only seen one for sale but the seller is asking an insane price for it. Any opinions on what a PSA 9 would sell for in a auction?

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Good gravy, somebody spilt pepper flakes all over my 10(PD) !!!

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a real tough card for print and centering is a major challenge. I’m happy with my centered 8. Have not seen a 9 sell in a while and this 10 is a joke right??

• Options

@dan89 said:

It’s a real tough card for print and centering is a major challenge. I’m happy with my centered 8. Have not seen a 9 sell in a while and this 10 is a joke right??

This is not a joke. Its currently for sale on EBAY and has a high bid over $2K.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 4:47PM

@Yankees70 said:
    @dan89 said:

This is not a joke. Its currently for sale on EBAY and has a high bid over $2K.

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options

People with more money than brains. Just don’t get it Buy the card not the label as many have said

• Options

They should have listed it before the registry awards.

• Options

Curious if 4 sharp corners submitted the card to PSA or a collector who then consigned the card to them.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankees70 said:
    Great comments guys - thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does not think this card is close to being a PSA 10. I understand that some buyers/collectors mostly care about the PSA grade over how the card presents, but come on how can any person that is familiar with grading think this card is a PSA 10? This is not a difference of opinion where 50% of collectors agree with the 10 grade and 50% don't. IMO this card is nowhere near a 9 which gets me back to how can so many collectors be willing to pay thousands of dollars for it?

One last question. Does anyone know the current market value for a PSA 9? I have not seen a completed sale since I got back into the hobby (15 months ago). I have only seen one for sale but the seller is asking an insane price for it. Any opinions on what a PSA 9 would sell for in a auction?

According to VCP, the most recent '78 Topps Eckersley PSA 9 sold for $610 in April 2023. Ebay auction, 4 Sharp Corners was seller.

• Options

Thank you for the information Chicago1976. Does VCP show the picture of the card? If so does it look like a solid 9?

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankees70 said:
    Thank you for the information Chicago1976. Does VCP show the picture of the card? If so does it look like a solid 9?

Yes. Here is the card:

• Options

It does have similar print on the right border similar to the top border all over the 10. Not as bad

• Options
    edited June 23, 2024 5:12PM

It just sold for $9900. My PSA 8 which cost me $40 is better. So much for buy the card and not the grade.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2024 6:06PM

Just wow…who was the sucker paying nearly $10k?!

Thinking of it this way…It is not any crazier than investors investing $10k in GameStop (GME) at $100/share.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

I just hope their set isn’t private so I can take a peek.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Just wow…who was the sucker paying nearly $10k?!

I'd say its time to look at my 1979 mint sets to see if I could find a perfect Eck to grade. However, if I found the perfect Eck and sent it in I'd get back a PSA 6 1978 Dennis Eckersley.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2024 7:35PM

dang 10k

• Options

The Registry is a powerful drug.

• Options

How does a black streak and at least one "weak" corner receive the first and only 10? I wonder if this card was submitted by some Joe Blow who then sent the card to 4SC for consignment of if 4SC submitted the card to PSA for grading?

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to the seller, lol. Hope it's Joe Blow.

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Posting for comparison sake. The PSA 10 looks to have enough flaws to be over graded.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭

Might this have something to do with who the submitter was?

PackManInNC
  • Options

Paid $25 for my 8 and I like it better.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2024 1:50PM

Awesome that you only paid 25 for your 8. But the guy who sold this Dennis probably paid way way less than you as well. Only difference he gets 10k on top of it now. And if he wants now . Could actually buy every 8 of this card graded with the money and probably score 3 more 10s. Lol

• Options

Playing devils advocate how would a PSA representative explain how this card was graded a 10? This is the only 10 graded in history so you would think it would have to be perfect to even be considered for this grade.

10 K. If the owner cracked it out of the case and tried to sell it raw at a convention he would be lucky to get $25 for it from any dealer at the convention.

• Options

I thought more than 1 person reviewed every card graded. How would this one get through?

• Options

@mexpo75 said:
    Might this have something to do with who the submitter was?

I don’t know why you guys are so attached to this theory when there is no proof of it. Isn’t it enough to be upset with incorrect grading?

• Options

The SGC 96 is so much nicer.

• Options

I think bubblebathgirl wants top spot back.

• Options

You should have won it or someone and sent it back to PSA for their guarantee. Lot of dough for eyes not to be enlightened and get this out of the market. Someone wants this as a 10K registry fueled by unicorn blood and no brains go for it😀

@handyman said:
    Awesome that you only paid 25 for your 8. But the guy who sold this Dennis probably paid way way less than you as well. Only difference he gets 10k on top of it now. And if he wants now . Could actually buy every 8 of this card graded with the money and probably score 3 more 10s. Lol

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭

Popcorn girl!

PackManInNC
  • Options

Does anyone here have a PSA 9?