Home Sports Talk

RIP Willie Mays

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2024 7:41PM

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Say Hey Kid, another slice of American Pie gone

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the greatest. RIP

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there was a top five in the Baseball Hall of Fame, what would stop this guy from being #1?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said: If there was a top five in the Baseball Hall of Fame, what would stop this guy from being #1

Despite his accomplishments there are 20 players in the MLB HOF that received a higher percentage of votes for inclusion.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    @OAKSTAR said: If there was a top five in the Baseball Hall of Fame, what would stop this guy from being #1

Despite his accomplishments there are 20 players in the MLB HOF that received a higher percentage of votes for inclusion.

Okay, thanks! 👍

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

I guess that makes your top 5 easy.

1. Mariano
    2. Jeter
    3. Ken Griffey Jr.
    4. Tom Seaver
    5. Nolan Ryan

Is that correct?

I didn't even think to look at it that way. Wasn't Mays elected in '79? I would expect two factors to work against him there. I think a lot of people have Mays in their top-5 all-time greats... I certainly do.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vic Wertz really hammered that one... what a catch... what a play

RIP

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited June 19, 2024 1:58PM

@bgr said:

@Maywood said:

I guess that makes your top 5 easy.

1. Mariano
    2. Jeter
    3. Ken Griffey Jr.
    4. Tom Seaver
    5. Nolan Ryan

Is that correct?

I didn't even think to look at it that way. Wasn't Mays elected in '79? I would expect two factors to work against him there. I think a lot of people have Mays in their top-5 all-time greats... I certainly do.

Top 5?

Absolutely

Mays and Williams are my automatics, people can put in their other 3

I guess my post was misconstrued, I meant to highlight the absurdity of the HOF voting and the ridiculous stance of the voters. But it's like that in all Sports and, quite frankly, in all walks of life. Petty feelings and grievances are used in an attempt to denigrate people all the time.

Think about it: the voters are/were sportswriters, etc. who presumably are watching these men play the sport, are keenly aware of the skills required to do what these guys do and yet there was still 5% of those voters in 1979 who didn't think Willie Mays was qualified. A quick look at his accomplishments and where he still ranks more than 50 years after he played his last game and one thing should be apparent --- the 5% who think he wasn't qualified should have had their voting privileges revoked!! They clearly don't know shit-from-shinola as far as MLB is concerned.

It is peculiar, because I think Mariano Rivera has been discussed here and IIRC some didn't think he deserved to be in, though the Baseball Writers saw the light. Hall-Of-Fame induction in the various sports has been a joke for quite a long while.

To the point of "Top Five" in MLB, I don't think it's fair to have a list which includes position players with pitchers, there should really be two lists or very, very worthy players will be left off.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe there were voters who felt no one should get in their first year of eligibility. I disagree with that belief but that's the way it was.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    I believe there were voters who felt no one should get in their first year of eligibility. I disagree with that belief but that's the way it was.

There still are those that do that and its not exclusive to MLB. One MLB voter has even bragged for a couple years online about turning in a blank ballot every year. The first ballot thing has always been very dumb. Either youre a HOFer or you arent. Players should be judged by what they do on the field

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭

Were they the one voter who didn’t have Jeter on his ballot?

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Home Run Derby - Mickey Mantle vs Willie Mays

https://youtu.be/HaxrzW3aSrc

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:

Yep and that was his first ballot ever. Turning in a blank one should have your voting privileges revoked

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

Yep and that was his first ballot ever. Turning in a blank one should have your voting privileges revoked

Absolutely agreed

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Willie

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.