Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's the Deal with CACG Shipping?

Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

CACG sent me a package containing three combined submissions on June 10th with an expensive group of 6 coins. I was charged $40 shipping so of course expected halfway decent service like I get from Heritage, Stacks, GC, CNG, NGC, and PCGS.

It went into USPS hands on June 11 and It sat in Norfolk, Virginia until this morning and is now in the Washington, D.C. Regional Center.

That's a long damned way from Texas.

I have never had any issues with NGC or PCGS using FedEx or UPS Express for high value packages. And CACG uses USPS Priority Mail, the worst of the worst? Is this poor level of service common for CAGC slabbing, or did I just draw a short straw?

Comments

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2024 7:21AM

Just spoke with my local postmaster, he said that it is coming registered mail and will probably take 2 weeks, he said if you want stuff fast you don't use the postal service. Well duh. I don't blame CAGC for the specific incident, but they should use better return service than the post office like everyone else except for low value items that come ground express that always seems to move at a reasonable pace.

And yes, I will move take this to the CAGC forum, didn't know that they had one. Thanks for all the insight.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Slade01 said:
    Just spoke with my local postmaster, he said that it is coming registered mail and will probably take 2 weeks, he said if you want stuff fast you don't use the postal service. Well duh. I don't blame CAGC for the specific incident, but they should use better return service than the post office like everyone else except for low value items that come ground express that always seems to move at a reasonable pace.

And yes, I will move take this to the CAGC forum, didn't know that they had one. Thanks for all the insight.

There is no service more secure than Registered Mail. If you value your coins, you wouldn't use anything else.

Other than the high-cost option of a private courier, I agree with the first sentence. The second one could use some fine tuning, as many people value their coins, but still don't use Registered Mail.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Slade01 said:

There is no service more secure than Registered Mail. If you value your coins, you wouldn't use anything else.

Other than the high-cost option of a private courier, I agree with the first sentence. The second one could use some fine tuning, as many people value their coins, but still don't use Registered Mail.

Lol. I can turn the second sentence into a long essay, if it would please Your Highness. 😉

Obviously, if you have private insurance and that requires FedEx or other such exceptions, my second sentence is not absolute. If you value your cheap coins, then you may prefer a cheaper method. But since the OP referred to a high value package from a commercial entity, nothing compares... except maybe a private courier, if that is actually a CACG option.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2024 12:56PM

There is a nice forum over at CACG - why not raise the issue there instead of complaining about it here? I am sure the nice folks who run that forum could more directly answer your questions. Frankly I am surprised the PCGS moderators are tolerating so many CACG (or even CAC) threads.

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Slade01 said:
    CACG sent me a package containing three combined submissions on June 10th with an expensive group of 6 coins. I was charged $40 shipping so of course expected halfway decent service like I get from Heritage, Stacks, GC, CNG, NGC, and PCGS.

It went into USPS hands on June 11 and It sat in Norfolk, Virginia until this morning and is now in the Washington, D.C. Regional Center.

That's a long damned way from Texas.

I have never had any issues with NGC or PCGS using FedEx or UPS Express for high value packages. And CACG uses USPS Priority Mail, the worst of the worst? Is this poor level of service common for CAGC slabbing, or did I just draw a short straw?

It could be worse, at least your coins aren't on this FedEx truck.

Philippians 4:4-7

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2024 6:39PM

My CACG PM package was recently shipped and arrived in 2 days here in the Southwest. If there are problems with Priority Mail, it is the post-office. I am sure you can set it up to ship Fedex if you really want to. Customer Service at CACG quickly responds and works hard to accommodate client wishes...........

I have never had a single issue with a Priority Mail delivery from me going somewhere or from they coming to me, 100s of packages. So I am very pleased with the CACG shipping services.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Slade01 said:

Uh no. See my above post. Their return service is perfectly fine. And yes, CAC/CACG does walk on water.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Within the past 8 years packages "lost" (i.e., stolen) include

• International inbound registered parcel disappeared 3/2021 after reaching Jamaica, NY International Distribution Center (I know, it's not handled the same way as domestic registered mail).
    • Priority mail SFRB outbound disappeared 3/2021 after leaving my PO
    • Registered inbound disappeared 2/2024 after reaching Chicago Distribution Center

I continue using USPS because it's the most convenient. A lot more outbound is going Express rather than Registered. I will ship FedEx or UPS on request if a customer requests it and gives me their account number. Wouldn't you know it, so will CACG.

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

UPS is the worst of the worst. I like the USPS and have not had a problem. I have noticed that things are different on the east coast. No one has any pride in their job so you may just have a regional turd issue.

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Well so much for the collective wisdom that thinks it exists on this board. I was contacted by USPS this morning and my package bound for Texas that shipped registered on 6.10 from CACG in being held in Dulles Regional Center with an inadequate address for delivery. I have asked CACG to correct this, yeah the USPS sucks theory that seems so much more likely than CACG screwed up is a bust.

Over and out.

edited June 18, 2024 10:27AM

@Slade01 said:
    Well so much for the collective wisdom that thinks it exists on this board. I was contacted by USPS this morning and my package bound for Texas that shipped registered on 6.10 from CACG in being held in Dulles Regional Center with an inadequate address for delivery. I have asked CACG to correct this, yeah the USPS sucks theory that seems so much more likely than CACG screwed up is a bust.

Over and out.

That can also be from damage to the label by USPS. So it is really rather hard to know what happened.

I'm also not sure that criticizing the forum is appropriate.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Slade01 said:

Over and out.

Your attitude and comments were uncalled for and quite distasteful.

They certainly were. :/

Furthermore, the OP didn't bother to understand how their shipment would be sent. I have to believe that CACG listed the registered shipping somewhere - either on the submission form, on the website, or in any emails that were received.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly - Hanlon's Razor

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

@JBK said:

@MFeld said:

@Slade01 said:

Over and out.

Your attitude and comments were uncalled for and quite distasteful.

They certainly were. :/

Furthermore, the OP didn't bother to understand how their shipment would be sent. I have to believe that CACG listed the registered shipping somewhere - either on the submission form, on the website, or in any emails that were received.

Since the OP had the tracking number, he could have known it was registered based on the number itself.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least they're not using Ground Advantage which has a lot more problems. NGC uses FedEx ground in many cases with a $27 shipping fee last I checked; that can be a bear if you're not there to sign for the package.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file