Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Centering

If the centering is the only flaw on this card, what grade does it get?

Comments

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Old PSA Grading = 8
    Current PSA Grading = 7

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2024 2:45PM

There's a rule by %, right?

A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

This image is 58.3/41.6

• Options

There are parameters which determine specific factors in assigning a final grade. It's not the gospel,it's a broad description. Although centering is a key element to making such a determination, it's not the only thing that matters. When I look at the example you've provided, I also see possible downgrading for slightly fuzzy registration and faded coloring on the front surface. The 84T Dickerson rookie, in particular, is easy see with this variance compared to a Mint example which would have much better centering, sharper coloring and imagery. Just my opinion.

• Options

• Options

This is why I don't work for PSA. You win. ;)

• Options
    edited June 16, 2024 3:06PM

Shrug, you could totally be right.

This image isn't very high res. That could account for the fuzzy registration.

• Options

I, of course, went to eBay to make the visual comparison. And even the Mint 9's over there don't all look attractive. Some do, some don't.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. IF I send it in. if larry sends it in 9.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 9 to me. Not every 9 has to be perfectly centered.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think at least one direction, up and down or left to right should be pretty close to 50/50 for a 9. In this case neither direction is very centered. if i were the grader, it would have been at most an 8.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

The image resolution isn't high enough to measure to the pixel. When the image is reduced some interpolation is used to determine what color those edge pixels should be. There's no secure scans available. Looks like you bought this card recently on eBay which seems like a good deal, but I don't know. Certainly inexpensive. The images in the listing are higher resolution, but are tilted and addressing the projection could produce the same error as the image compression.

I did get the same ratio top to bottom that you did. approximately 10/24 vs. 14/24. I would caution that a single pixel at this resolution is about 4% difference.

I do not see any issues with registration here. This would be more pronounced with the compression. What I do observe, which may appear as registration issue, is a gradient artifact of compression most likely related to a linear interpolation when the image size was reduced.

This does produce some nice transients which may indicate issues with the card's surface -- or be print dots, dust, wrinkles in a card sleeve, etc.

There might be some edging around the bottom left corner based on what I see. If you zoom in you can see the artifacts from the interpolation used which produce the anomalies which would point me to an area to review.

Based on the centering alone, it's probably (I think it is but I cannot confirm) within the range for a PSA 9.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer the OP's question, it could get a 9.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@bgr said:
    This does produce some nice transients which may indicate issues with the card's surface -- or be print dots, dust, wrinkles in a card sleeve, etc.

I didn't clean my glass before I scanned.

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭

Going off of the original question if everything was flawless outside of the centering, I'd say 8. Even it meets what they say qualifies for a 9. Top to bottom it looks worse than 58 41. That may be exactly what it is but the eye appeal for top to bottom centering does not seem great. And if it was just about getting out the ruler we all probably could have had some higher grades. As mentioned earlier this card is notorious for horrible print issues especially in the black space where you see Rams. It can look like something photocopied 7 times with all sorts of dots and fish eyes. They never seem to have the right amount of ink for Eric. I had a 10 of this card that was a flawless high end 10 once and feel like an idiot for letting it go. But have seen so may with splotchiness in the black area. That example you provide is not terrible or the worst but it still has those common issues. I'd say typically 8. Very happy grader 9. Bad mood grader 7.

• Options

Again, I didn't clean the glass before I scanned.

I don't see how you could justify a 7 on this based on centering alone.

The centering is close to the limit.

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:
    Again, I didn't clean the glass before I scanned.

I don't see how you could justify a 7 on this based on centering alone.

The centering is close to the limit.

Ulysses didn't justify a 7. He just stated that it might get a 7 from a bad mood grader....possibly on a Monday after having a bad weekend.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't see a problem boss. Sign it off ?
    One of those in hand things..........again. New plates time. Spray it.