Home U.S. Coin Forum

1935 D Lincoln Wheat Doubling Question

Hello All, is this a form of machine doubling known as Plating Disturbance Doubling?

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well first cents minted in this year are not plated, so no this could not a problem related to any plating. And perhaps you could post the reference site or material where you read about "Plating Disturbance Doubling".

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just worn and maybe polished.

• @coinbuf https://www.error-ref.com/other-forms-of-doubling/ I found it here on error-ref. Thank you for the feedback.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes when a die gets too old the die erosion around design elements forms ripples that mimic doubling. It is not uncommon and not significant.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_Rookie said:
    @coinbuf https://www.error-ref.com/other-forms-of-doubling/ I found it here on error-ref. Thank you for the feedback.

Thank you for the reference, many people show up here (and other forums) having read about or heard of a term or effect but not really knowing what it means. As you can see from that article this effect happens on the zinc core copper plated cents that were minted from 1982 to current. Cents prior to 1982 (including your 35-D) were solid alloy made mostly from copper. As those coins were not copper plated they do not suffer from the many plating/striking issues that have plagued the zinc core cents like that shown in this error-ref article.

What you see on your coin is die deterioration, the mint has always overused the dies for circulation coinage to get every cent of value from a set of dies. As the die approaches the end of its useful life many times it has become so worn that the edges of the letters and design elements are no longer sharp and metal squeezes out at the time of strike. When that happens you get a mushy look to the letters like you see here between the letters and the rim. Add to that the significant wear this coin has seen while doing its job in circulation.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • @coinbuf @CaptHenway - Thank you as well CaptHenway. Thank you again Coinbuf I appreciated you taking the time to educate me further. I love coin collecting and I’m learning a lot about them from reading and the great people on this forum!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file