Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best hit from an Economy Submission?

manlye1manlye1 Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Figured this would be an interesting topic. What is the best grading surprise you’ve had from an Economy submission with a $300 value limit?

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    About 20 years ago I sent a 1972-P Ty 2 Eisenhower Dollar in an economy submission and received an MS65 grade. That made it a $3500 coin at the time.

:o

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Sent in fairly recently under Economy, as I’m the eternal pessimist when it comes to grading my coins. I bought them over 10 years ago, and only had $250 in the pair.
    The nickel came back Proof 65, and the cent is 65RD

:o:o

peacockcoins

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@GRANDAM said:
    About 20 years ago I sent a 1972-P Ty 2 Eisenhower Dollar in an economy submission and received an MS65 grade. That made it a $3500 coin at the time.

:o

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Sent in fairly recently under Economy, as I’m the eternal pessimist when it comes to grading my coins. I bought them over 10 years ago, and only had $250 in the pair.
    The nickel came back Proof 65, and the cent is 65RD

:o:o

20 years ago, no extra charge. Today, your conservative grading is rewarded with a $10 per coin “service level charge”

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

1917-D Obv Walker in 65 that later CACed. Big, big coin. Low five figures. It's at auction right now, I'll update this with what it sells for.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2024 8:40AM

@DelawareDoons said:
    1917-D Obv Walker in 65 that later CACed. Big, big coin. Low five figures. It's at auction right now, I'll update this with what it sells for.

Nice! Were you expecting a lower grade, or did you want to avoid the coin getting “tagged” with a crappy Trueview?

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never understood why it cost more for PCGS to grade more valuable coins.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I never understood why it cost more for PCGS to grade more valuable coins.

Probably greater liability costs in case of an accident.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file