Home U.S. Coin Forum

What Dansco Album Set Would You Collect?

Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

The parameters are: An XF-AU set, and 50k budget.

Comments

• steve_richardsonsteve_richardson Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

Walking Liberty Halves, for sure. Probably my favorite series. Working on a set now, but starting at lower grades because of budget constraints.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should probably give this more thought.

I'm wondering if 50k would cover a XF-AU 7070 set? You could certainly complete a 7070 (no gold) with 50k but could they all be XF-AU?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finished my 7070 last year with mostly XF to AU coins and it didn't cost anywhere near $50k. Unless you're putting key dates for Type in a 7070...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barber halves are probably around 50k in XF.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

A buffalo set with an 18/7 AND 16/16 would still be less than 50k in XF.

• ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭

Working on standing liberty quarters now in AU+ now. Maybe I will include the 1916 though probably lower grade on that coin

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you be a lil more specific please.
    Is this a fantasy question or are you actually asking how to spend 50k?

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Barber halves are probably around 50k in XF.

I think that's pretty close,

I also checked the contents of the 7070 which indicated its post 1800. Excluding the earlier gold, might be doable with your parameters.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would collect the one that appeals the most to me from an aesthetic and historical perspective, then check the price guides to make sure it’s affordable.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    I would collect the one that appeals the most to me from an aesthetic and historical perspective, then check the price guides to make sure it’s affordable.

I did something like this back in 1998. Priced multiple series in different grades (in both circulation strikes and proof) using the Red Book as an estimate. Budget was about $250 per month as an absolute max, so I limited it to IHC, Barber nickels, and a few 20th century.

That's when I decided to collect non-US instead. I couldn't afford to collect any US set I wanted badly enough that I could also afford.

I also priced a partial type set in circulated grades but never tried to complete it.

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would do a 7070 with gold page.

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

K

ANA LM
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

7070!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file