Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fraud for thought

I came across quite a few listings which seem like fraud on eBay. Here is a fun one. With authenticity guarantee as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235599642228

Comments

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

This doesn't get authenticated until you buy it. If you buy and the card is fake you get your money back.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn’t meaning to say that it’s been authenticated.

If it’s a scam I doubt the intent is to complete the sale through eBay.

If it’s not a scam well. I wonder if this zero feedback seller who’s decided to sell sports cards knows.

His stadium club Favre rookies may be legit.

If the Aaron is legit I’ll be shocked as it appears fake-aged and the signature doesn’t look legitimate to me.

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

If it looks like a duck.....

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    I wasn’t meaning to say that it’s been authenticated.

If it’s a scam I doubt the intent is to complete the sale through eBay.

If it’s not a scam well. I wonder if this zero feedback seller who’s decided to sell sports cards knows.

His stadium club Favre rookies may be legit.

If the Aaron is legit I’ll be shocked as it appears fake-aged and the signature doesn’t look legitimate to me.

"His stadium club Favre rookies may be legit."

That's an old trick, mixing in legit items with an "expensive" fake to try and fool the public into believing that since the other items are legit, the expensive item must also be legit.

So much possibly wrong with this, it's too numerous to mention, including possible shill bids. Suffice to say I think the seller is hoping to reel in a fish, and by the time the authentication process takes place, and the item gets shipped to the buyer, he gets paid, then quickly withdraws the money from his bank account. The seller is gone, and on to the next scam.

That being said, I'm not sure how Ebay handles funds disbursement time with a newbie seller, or with an item for authentication.

• Options

The seller wouldn't get paid if the item fails authentication.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭

I don't believe eBay's authentication would authenticate the signature (just the card itself)

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

^ correct
    eBay only check to see if the card matches the item sold
    They do not authenticate anything!!
    For example if it has multiple creases that are noticeable that are not in the description then yeah it failed
    Also I read they don’t do signatures at all- card only

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭

Well, the guy selling it has a nice coat and is dressed nicely. Looks very professional. I trust him. :D

They might as well label it the Red Flag Sale of the Century. Its a con. They screw you by letting you believe you can screw them. Oh wow, I can take advantage of this guy who doesn't know what he has. Its an Estate Sale! Oh I love to find bargains at estate sales. They dont know what they have but I do. That is a Hank Aaron rookie! I know that! It may have been sitting at the bottom of a pool for 2 years but it is that. Similar to the hey I won these cards from my husband in a divorce I dont know what I have but I will sell it to you con. Oh opportunity of a lifetime for me!! Love that there are 13 pics and every last one is blurry. I mean an item of questionable authenticity and you take 13 out of focus pictures. So you cant tell its a reprint someone put in the bathtub before taking a Sharpie to it. Then there is another angle. I am selling this for someone who passed. Adds to the he must be a decent fellow angle. Have to include that detail. Cant just be here is my signed Hank Aaron 1954 Topps for sale. Now, I say red flags. There is a % chance everything being said is true. Someone passed it is an estate sale it is a genuine 1954 Topps card and genuine auto. But I think real low %. Agree if it walks like a duck. Heard a ton of quacks as I took it all in.

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2024 10:00AM

Estate Sale and zero feedback is nearly as sketchy as it gets.

As sigs nor grading are not authenticated Scammers have already figured out a way around eBay protection and in effect are getting their blessing. It will get worse

• Options

This Ebay "authentication" process seems about as useful as a certain body part on a bull.

• Options

authenticate - verb
    prove or show (something) to be true, genuine, or valid.

Using the word "authenticate" to describe their service, in my opinion, is very misleading based on what I've read here.

A word or phrase such as verifying that the item being sold is the same as what is pictured, would be much more appropriate.

• Options

If they were just verifying that the item being sold is the same as what is pictured they wouldn't need a grading company to do it. This listing says it's a 1954 Topps card. The authenticator should be able to tell the difference between a 1954 Topps card and a reprint. That's why they use a company like PSA.

It is a problem that the listing says Hank Aaron signed the card. I don't know what authentication company would authenticate an autograph like this. The buyer should assume the autograph is fake. Even if it were real I don't think autographs like this should be authenticated.

• Options

I think there's also a law that says you can't sell an autograph for more than 5 dollars in California without a COA. A COA from a company like this would be worthless.

• Options

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    ^ correct
    eBay only check to see if the card matches the item sold
    They do not authenticate anything!!
    For example if it has multiple creases that are noticeable that are not in the description then yeah it failed
    Also I read they don’t do signatures at all- card only

They do authenticate the slab if the card is encapsulated. They do authenticate raw cards to determine if they are real (that the item matches the listing). If the listing states that it is a reprint or unlicensed reproduction, and it is, then it will be authenticated as such.

They do not authenticate signatures under this program as everyone has said.

This Ebay "authentication" process seems about as useful as a certain body part on a bull.

It's not entirely useless, but I agree that it has it's drawbacks. I have also seen people listing singles as lots lately which will bypass it entirely.

• Options

1 minute left --get those bids in!

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭

Raw cards go to CGC, not PSA......

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

That’s a good point to add. I don’t know much about CGC but I have quite a few comics which are CGC. I assume they are competent enough to determine if a card is legitimate or not but I have no idea.

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

@bgr said:

@RufussCkingston said:

That’s a good point to add. I don’t know much about CGC but I have quite a few comics which are CGC. I assume they are competent enough to determine if a card is legitimate or not but I have no idea.

They are the "PSA" of Comic Grading. Which ain't a compliment

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Would that be a pair of body parts on said bull?

Daniel
  • Options

Not sure I’ve ever seen negative feedback before. The negative feedback was from another listing.

Here’s the feedback listing.

I just find stuff like this on eBay humorous. I’m not saying this is rare or anything. But if you can’t trust “Businessman stock photos” who can you trust. Seriously.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    But if you can’t trust “Businessman stock photos” who can you trust. Seriously.

And you have doubts? LOL