Home U.S. Coin Forum

Maybe off topic? Does anyone flip their CRHunted silver for Sports cards?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 11, 2024 10:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Yeah, as of lately.
Been mesmerized by ms. Caitlin Clark's pure talent!
I recently traded my Silver finds, as well as, a few coin sales to purchase a few
Caitlin Clark's graded Rookie Cards!
I now have 3,
1- PSA 10
and
2- BGS 10
Won on Ebay Auctions.
I not only been CRHunting coins
But also, CRHunting in this category,
CaitlinRookieHunting!
😆

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trading silver for cardboard? :#

For all I know it's a great investment, but then again the market for her cards could also be at a high point right now.

I do know that silver will always have value.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

You nailed it - this is off topic.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only interest in sportscards: How much cash can I get for this quickly?

All glory is fleeting.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

But Caitlyn Clark is gold....

:)

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Trading silver for cardboard? :#

For all I know it's a great investment, but then again the market for her cards could also be at a high point right now.

I do know that silver will always have value.

Buy what you like with your money.
    I see what you did though :o looking to create a buzz to gather interest so you're cards go up in value :D
    I'll let the one guy I know that buys graded cardboard with his Plasma Donation Money...he refers to that as a PDM instead of an ATM. :D

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

But Caitlyn Clark is gold....

Yeah, too bad she won't be trying to WIN some for, U.S.A.
    :/

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be off topic if he traded in the Caitlin's for a high end, expensive coin?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited June 12, 2024 10:06PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Would it be off topic if he traded in the Caitlin's for a high end, expensive coin?

Great point!
    Thanks.
    Are you reading my mind?
    ;)
    Oh! By the way, here is my 3rd
    Caitlin!
    PSA-10

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those aren’t rookie cards. If it was a rookie card she would be would be wearing the WNBA uniform of the team she’s playing for.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not currently into cards, but I think @skier07 is right. Those are college/future stars cards.
    We discuss what people do with coin sale money all the time, so I think you’re good there.
    Probably aren’t a ton of people selling coins to buy cards but I’m sure you’re not the only one.
    I’ve gone the other way and sold some cards to buy coins. Investment-wise they were both horrible for me (mostly due to my timing) but I enjoyed the cards and then enjoyed the coins so both were great hobby-wise, which was always the point.
    When you see the biggest part of the CC bubble will you flip the cards back for some coin money?

@ShaunBC5 said:
    Not currently into cards, but I think @skier07 is right. Those are college/future stars cards.
    We discuss what people do with coin sale money all the time, so I think you’re good there.
    Probably aren’t a ton of people selling coins to buy cards but I’m sure you’re not the only one.
    I’ve gone the other way and sold some cards to buy coins. Investment-wise they were both horrible for me (mostly due to my timing) but I enjoyed the cards and then enjoyed the coins so both were great hobby-wise, which was always the point.
    When you see the biggest part of the CC bubble will you flip the cards back for some coin money?

Probably.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Clark cards are likely to be printed in large numbers with virtually all saved in mint condition. Future appreciation in terms of value is likely to be limited.

All glory is fleeting.
  • FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post photos of the traded coins, that’s enough topic.

@291fifth said:
    The Clark cards are likely to be printed in large numbers with virtually all saved in mint condition. Future appreciation in terms of value is likely to be limited.

Maybe?
    I like the fact of the grading aspects!
    10's
    Even the Beckett specifics!
    The QUAD 10's
    ;)

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

The card companies have gotten smarter since the ‘80s and ‘90s when they printed everything x100000. Lots of limited runs and “special” cards with known(ish?) quantities.
    I think you’re safe in that regard, it’s just an issue of her staying popular.
    For instance - does Paige come out next year and make everyone forget about CC? If so, sell those cards in January and get some cool coins!

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are college cards, or minor league cards for that matter, now considered RC’s? I always thought it had to be a players first year pro card? Then again, I haven’t collected cards since the mid-90’s.

To keep this even just a little bit on topic. I would not trade coins for cards. But it is your money and you should 100% do whatever you want to with it. Be happy, dude!

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

edited June 14, 2024 12:07AM

Yep, one of the coins I cashed in was a
    1945 Dos Peso Gold coin

I don't have any Gold in my collection. When I do get one, It's hard for me to hold on to.
    Won this in a YouTube Race!
    Sold for $110.
    Put that towards the Caitlin's.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once at an estate sale I came across a shoebox full of cards. The price for the box was $35. I knew nothing about sports cards at the time. But I bought it on speculation. All of them were circa 1967-1972. I later found five OJ Simpson rookie cards in the mix. I sold them all before the murders for $100 each. The remaining cards I sold as one lot for another $500.

That was my one and only sports cards deal.

I personally do not envision sports cards going up much in price from here, especially baseball. But I wouldn't rule it out.

I guess I do not get the attraction of something like a Babe Ruth signed item. Given a choice between that and a nice coin or something such as an Albert Einstein signed item, I would choose the Einstein or the coin.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

There is a temporary bubble opportunity and that's probably it.

If Michael Jordan's rookie card had hundreds graded as a "10" in 2020 (and probably more now), most later cards are going to be even more common.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file