Home U.S. Coin Forum

@PCGS_Moderator Please ban for life Spawnfreek he is a con artist (with proof this account is fake)

TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 11, 2024 9:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Before someone here gets burned by this fake seller.

Comments

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching the BST. Did any money change hands?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    I was watching the BST. Did any money change hands?

I hope not that would be a big loss unless the person paid via PayPal invoice then PayPal would have their back. But still not OK at all.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2024 9:36AM

Deleted per OP request

edited June 11, 2024 9:13AM

AKA Spawnfreek ''the con artist''

Do we know that this is an image of the actual BST "seller"? It could be some random person taken from some obscure website...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@lkenefic said:

Do we know that this is an image of the actual BST "seller"? It could be some random person taken from some obscure website...

You are correct we do not know. We should take this image off just in case.

Please all who posted the image delete them as we do not know for sure that is a real image of said person.

• RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭

Throw the image into the Tineye website or google image search. If it comes up then its a stolen pic. If it doesnt show up on those websites then its an authentic picture.

I'd do it for you pillar but cannot currently.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:
    Throw the image into the Tineye website or google image search. If it comes up then its a stolen pic. If it doesnt show up on those websites then its an authentic picture.

I'd do it for you pillar but cannot currently.

Can someone her do that?

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2024 9:18AM

That is undoubtedly not a real picture: a reverse image search shows matches both as an alleged cybersecurity thought leader "Dr. Bon G. Ripper" and "Richard Cole" from "Brighton, UK, is a renowned CBD and cannabis expert who has dedicated his life to researching, advocating for, and educating others on the benefits and potential of these powerful plants."

"Bon G. Ripper" is almost as prescient of a scammer name as "Bernie Madoff" :D

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks SmEagle, now we know that the scammer stole that image from ones available online.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

Proof he is a fake like suspected. Now time for moderators to please ban this account for life.

edited June 11, 2024 9:48AM

Possibly trying to gather peoples home addresses (just a guess) who knows glad I trusted my gut and did not give him any info. Will only buy from long term members I know their user names best to be safe than sorry.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, I don't think tagging someone in the title of a thread will alert them like it will if you tag them in a thread.

Second, I think the moderators have addressed this general issue in the past and stated that being a dishonest seller on the BST is not in itself a bannable offense.

edited June 11, 2024 10:14AM

@JBK said:
    First, I don't think tagging someone in the title of a thread will alert them like it will if you tag them in a thread.

Second, I think the moderators have addressed this general issue in the past and stated that being a dishonest seller on the BST is not in itself a bannable offense.

Lets hope they ban him for life this is what a thief deserves at minimum. Why would anyone want such people to remain on the boards does not make any sens at all. Weed out the bad to protect our community. We should no be protecting the people we should be getting rid of them ASAP.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

There's a difference between a slightly dishonest or problematic seller, and an outright scam artist using a fictitious identity to rip someone off. I understand it's a buyer-beware world but I didn't think it would be too much to ask the mods to press a button or two and get them out of here, especially when we do the investigative legwork.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Proof he is a fake like suspected. Now time for moderators to please ban this account for life.

Using an image of someone other than oneself doesn't automatically make someone a scammer. And I haven't seen any solid proof from you that the person is a scammer.
    Caution is good but I think you're getting somewhat carried away.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@JBK said:

Lets hope they ban him for life this is what a thief deserves at minimum. Why would anyone want such people to remain on the boards does not make any sens at all. Weed out the bad to protect our community.

I don't disagree in theory, but the mods have made it clear they are not going to police the BST. It is provided as a convenience for members, and if it becomes too much of a hassle they could just close it down.

@DeplorableDan said:

@JBK said:

There's a difference between a slightly dishonest or problematic seller, and an outright scam artist using a fictitious identity to rip someone off. I understand it's a buyer-beware world but I didn't think it would be too much to ask the mods to press a button or two and get them out of here, especially when we do the investigative legwork.

You don't need to argue your case to me. You need to argue it to the moderators. Why doesn't someone tag them properly to get their attention?

edited June 11, 2024 10:50AM

@JBK said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@JBK said:

You don't need to argue your case to me. You need to argue it to the moderators. Why doesn't someone tag them properly to get their attention?

I did, I flagged the post on the bst and tagged him.

@MFeld said:

Using an image of someone other than oneself doesn't automatically make someone a scammer. And I haven't seen any solid proof from you that the person is a scammer.

Mark, this might be a rare instance where I disagree with you (edit- based on numerous reasons, not just the photo), but I have an advantage because of my moderation experience on facebook.

1. New account
    2. Generic image of a seemingly honest looking male to inspire confidence
    3. Selling gold under melt.
    4. A comment from a related thread -

"There seems to be many of us been played for fools by this member. Wastes your time tells you he has this coin or that coin then never gets back to you.

I have blocked him."

Thats the tell, they always say they have something you need, or that their buddy has the coin and they can never provide proof.

He was already out after the 3rd strike, but the 4th one is the final nail in the coffin. If he can prove me wrong, ill give him $500.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited June 11, 2024 10:50AM

@braddick said:
    Just a bit of humor here. Not meant to offend. . .

@MFeld said:

» show previous quotes
    "Using an image of someone other than oneself doesn't automatically make someone a scammer. And I haven't seen any solid proof from you that the person is a scammer.
    Caution is good but I think you're getting somewhat carried away."

@DeplorableDan stated: "Mark, this might be a rare instance where I disagree with you, but I have an advantage because of my moderation experience on facebook."

lol touche 🤣

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@JBK said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@JBK said:

I did, I flagged the post on the bst and tagged him.

@MFeld said:

Mark, this might be a rare instance where I disagree with you, but I have an advantage because of my moderation experience on facebook.

1. New account
    2. Generic image of a seemingly honest looking male to inspire confidence
    3. Selling gold under melt.
    4. A comment from a related thread -

"There seems to be many of us been played for fools by this member. Wastes your time tells you he has this coin or that coin then never gets back to you.

I have blocked him."

Thats the tell, they always say they have something you need, or that their buddy has the coin and they can never provide proof.

He was already out after the 3rd strike, but the 4th one is the final nail in the coffin. If he can prove me wrong, ill give him $500.

Dan, what good does it do for a scammer to claim he has something someone needs, without making a serious attempt to try to sell it, in order to rip them off? Maybe that's the plan, but thus far, I haven't see any proof that such an attempt has been made. Has it?

Don't get me wrong - I'm still all for caution and alerting forum members and the mods.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Here is my comment on one of his active bst listings - lets see what happens

@DeplorableDan said:
    I will buy the coin at $1900, please take a picture of the coin next to a piece of paper that reads "spawnfreak 6/11". Once you post that image in the thread, send me your Paypal information and i will send the money.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1098579/fs-1900-us-20-liberty-head-gold-coin#latest

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe if the poster in question had gotten political he might of been banned by now

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited June 11, 2024 11:43AM

@DeplorableDan said:
    Here is my comment on one of his active bst listings - lets see what happens

@DeplorableDan said:
    I will buy the coin at $1900, please take a picture of the coin next to a piece of paper that reads "spawnfreak 6/11". Once you post that image in the thread, send me your Paypal information and i will send the money.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1098579/fs-1900-us-20-liberty-head-gold-coin#latest

Exact same happened to me. On a coin I was looking to buy on BST.

edited June 11, 2024 11:51AM

@MFeld said:

How much proof do you want that this guy is a fake and someone will get burned if this continues. Should we wait till it does happen then cry out?

This is not normal behaviour at all.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1104526/sold#latest

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2024 11:48AM

He also probably has an alt, there are @Spawnfreek and @Spawnfreak . @Spawnfreak 's last post is three days before @Spawnfreek 's first.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

I'm wondering what the angle is... trolling for banking information? Other personal info???

Or is it just as simple as it's a troll with nothing better to do...

edited June 11, 2024 12:15PM

This is not normal behavior at all. > @lkenefic said:

I'm wondering what the angle is... trolling for banking information? Other personal info???

He was acting weird in PM messages I got a bad feeling and simply told him forget it. I asked for images of the coin with a piece of paper with his user name and date he bailed after that.

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2024 12:23PM

He was acting weird in PM messages I got a bad feeling and simply told him forget it. I asked for images of the coin with a piece of paper with his user name and date he bailed after that.

I totally understand the frustration, but this particular scenario happens a lot here. I thank you for the warning of the member, but the point has been made. I think best to drop it now, as it will only reflect badly on you pushing this more, as has been mentioned. But, thank you for the warning!

Edited to add: I don’t want you to think I’m saying you are doing anything wrong. Just that sometimes too big of a push can reflect poorly on the “Pusher”. With that said, I agree, a scammer should be banned for life on this forum and I thank you for pointing it out!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana

@NewEnglandRarities said:

I totally understand the frustration, but this particular scenario happens a lot here. I thank you for the warning of the member, but the point has been made. I think best to drop it now, as it will only reflect badly on you pushing this more, as has been mentioned. But, thank you for the warning!

Thanks will do let the mods decide from here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file