Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Couple Semi Key NEWPS

Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked these up at our local show yesterday from a dealer friend’s “fresh” box stock.

The show was fairly busy, and the drop in PM prices on Friday seemed to have brought out the buyers of both generic gold and junk/1 oz silver, as I saw dealers selling bulk quantities of both.

I wasn’t shopping for either, and didn’t find anything I really needed for my sets….but Summer FUN is coming up. Anyway on a whim while chatting with the dealer he mentioned some newer/better raw material that was decent but not worth submitting. As he grades conservatively and prices at or back of Bid, I selected these two.

I’ve owned every date of the Liberty nickel series at some time or other, except the 12S, so this was a good acquisition even though I don’t collect them.

The 1857 large cent is a low mintage date, and supposedly many were melted with the transition to flying eagle cents. There are two major varieties, a large date and small date. This is the more common large date. I’m a sucker for this date, and generally buy them when I can find them nice and priced right.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Comments

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m digging that cent! Tight work. 👍🏻

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice colour (color) on the '57!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta go with that cent. An acetone bath might help that nickel a little bit.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

A seldom seen grade on that 12-S nickel. Coins with a full LIBERTY aren't common. It should be an easy sell to album collectors.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

Thanks - From the Melbourne show yesterday; I recall that you attended that show and wrote up a report a few months back.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

I was pondering that…. I do like the original crust though, but wondering if it was a little too much. Has that look like it was in an old unsearched pile of coins for decades, then discovered and put into a 2x2 unmolested.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I was pondering that…. I do like the original crust though, but wondering if it was a little too much. Has that look like it was in an old unsearched pile of coins for decades, then discovered and put into a 2x2 unmolested.

That's true. All personal preference I guess. 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2024 5:00PM

Nice 57, Greg. Like the color and original skin. Had a complete V nickel set once, but the S turned out to be a D. lol
    Great pickup, thanks for sharing. Maybe why I have so many D's.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice additions.

I'd leave the cent as it is.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

Thanks - From the Melbourne show yesterday; I recall that you attended that show and wrote up a report a few months back.

>

Melbourne. Oh, that Melbourne…

Smitten with DBLCs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file