Home U.S. Coin Forum

Newp... 1834 N-1... thoughts and comments welcome... Updated Pics

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 15, 2024 7:55AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been wanting a nice N-1 coin for this date for some time. Most specimens over the years fell into two categories: damaged (ie... corroded, cleaned, environmental damage, all of the above, etc...) and I didn't bid, or super nice and moon money. I still had to spend strongly for what is essentially a VF coin with a rim bump (reverse) but the obvious double profile, smooth surfaces, and ok color took the day. I also like the accompanying attribution card... :smile:

Here are the seller's pics. I don't have coin in-hand yet. As always, thoughts and comments welcome...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice example of the 1834 N-1!/2 Nexcomb calls the doubled profile example. A choice VF example with excellent color and originality. Grellman grades it VF 25 and would be 30 but for the tiny rim bruise. Nice NEWP.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely high VF with nice surfaces.
    I love those double profile cents and own a few myself.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice N-1. Love the doubled profile, much nicer coin than my N-2. Never could bid against an undetailed Small 8. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am unable to read the card(s) , can you tell us what ht says,
    thanks

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d say you found an excellent compromise.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got one of those too! Bough raw long ago, now in a PCGS VF-25 holder. This is a coin even non-collectors get a kick out of.

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great variety! One I was unaware of, but will be on the lookout for!

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:
    I am unable to read the card(s) , can you tell us what ht says,
    thanks

The Grellman card grades her 25+/25 and lists the rim bump. I'll post a better image of the cards and previous envelope notes once I get it in hand...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Coin in hand... here are some new images and pics of the old attribution cards... I've heard of Fred Clymer. ..never met him. Does anyone else have an idea of the notes and the earlier numismatists

bump... for the week day crowd...

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to keep your post alive. Love your coin's credentials. Here's my lowly N-2 I believe.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file