Home U.S. Coin Forum

Smash and Grab Coin Robbery

2»

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to agree with bigjpst. My first reaction to that chart was NOT that things have been improving, but are on an upward trend, since 2014. And given that reporting criteria have been changed (likely around 2022?), no telling what the statistics would be at. Just sayin'

----- kj
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not trust many of the statistics that are being put out. Inflation anyone??

It does seem the coin dealer theft/robberies/etc. are rapidly increasing, and getting more brash and confrontational. Be very vigilant.... you ARE targets. I don't think we've seen the worst yet, There is another type of heist that I believe is coming, but will not expound on it since I do not want to give any ideas out there to anyone who may lurk here for targets.

----- kj
  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭

>

@Pnies20 said:
    I’m guessing these statistics come from the FBI.

Unfortunately, lots of police departments refuse to report their crime stats to the FBI for whatever reason so they aren’t factored in.

This is common practice that has been going on in our city since the 80's.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 cents... in my microcosm of Baltimore we've seen a significant reduction in murders (> 30%) just over the last couple of years. This seems to be attributable to a new mayor and city state's attorney general targeting gun offenses and not pleading them away.

That said, the number of carjackings is way up over the same time period. But if one unpacks the statistics we find that the overwhelming majority of those cars are Hyundais and KIAs... and the perpetrators are teenagers. Low bearing fruit since those automobiles turned out to be easier to steal. Baltimore city government was actually giving away steering wheel locks to owners of those cars to get the numbers down.

So what does any of this mean? Is the overall crime rate actually going down or are we just not "feeling" like it is? In Baltimore, the lack of dead bodies is telling. We even have fewer shootings overall in general... maybe the crooks are running out of ammo? As far as robberies and property crime... it depends on where you are in the city.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
This discussion has been closed.