Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any guesses on the grade of this 1912-D nickel?

rte592rte592 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 8, 2024 9:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm not a nickel guy, But I paid $8 for 10 V nickels because one was a Hobo nickel.
I didn't expect anything more from the lot, but on further inspection a 1912-D
Crappy pictures, but maybe a VF?

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF20

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less looks VF ish, but a scratch on the reverse may make it a “details” coin. Cool hobo nickel, so looks like you did well for $10.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL, well looks better than VF20 on the 1912 D if the scratch is "artifact". A bit grubby that's for sure and even a soap and water treatment (with the usual caveat of no rubbing) might do it well; perhaps a slightly better picture might help. I showed one of this date recently and was savaged as usual by the haters club, so don't get too discouraged - many of the GTG crowd were blown out by the previous coins I put up so don't be too discouraged.
    I'm not so partial to the hoboes but nice score there Sir!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    edited June 9, 2024 6:18AM

@7Jaguars said:
    LOL, well looks better than VF20 on the 1912 D if the scratch is "artifact". A bit grubby that's for sure and even a soap and water treatment (with the usual caveat of no rubbing) might do it well; perhaps a slightly better picture might help. I showed one of this date recently and was savaged as usual by the haters club, so don't get too discouraged - many of the GTG crowd were blown out by the previous coins I put up so don't be too discouraged.
    I'm not so partial to the hoboes but nice score there Sir!

I’m not sure what your “LOL” was for. But if it was for grade estimates of VF (20 or otherwise) what grade would you assign?

Here are PCGS Photograde VF20 and VF30 pictures:

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2024 6:29AM

I'll have to dig it out again. I didn't notice a scratch on the reverse.
    The 1912 was part of a metal detecting find from back east that the guy was selling.
    Here is the rest of the lot.

If I had some acetone I'd probably give it a dip.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    I'll have to dig it out again. I didn't notice a scratch on the reverse.
    The 1912 was part of a metal detecting find from back east that the guy was selling.
    Here is the rest of the lot.

If I had some acetone I'd probably give it a dip.

Scratch may have been from the tool used to dig the 12-D up.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think with the rim damage on the obverse and possibly upper reverse(may be photographic on reverse) and the scratch across the central reverse it would details grade. I do agree with Mark as to the photograde comparison and would grade VF25-VF30 with details. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm probably at 30 details, but still would like that thing cleaned off & a better look at the scratch. LOL, because that was a "snapper" judgement that just may have been a bit hasty.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@7Jaguars said:
    I'm probably at 30 details, but still would like that thing cleaned off & a better look at the scratch. LOL, because that was a "snapper" judgement that just may have been a bit hasty.

Thanks.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2024 9:38AM

I call it very fine. It's not "choice" very fine. FYI, every single nickel I found with my metal detector was totally brown in color. Nickels that have been in the ground for a few decades or more turn dull brown. The "brown" is not removable by any process that I am aware of.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF seems right, but I certainly would call it a details coin due to the scratch (that is visible in your group coin photo) and the rim issues.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks highly lustrous from the photo.

Between the rim dings, tarnish and scratch it's a details coin though.

It needs cleaning, conservation or whatever it's called now.

Tempus fugit.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think easily EF details, but there is likely some environmental damage.
    Need better pictures to be sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file